Discussion: Harvard's Prestigious Debate Team Loses To NY Inmates

Discussion for article #241485

I’ve removed my original comment.

I hadn’t intended it to be offensive but I accept that it came across that way.

Sorry.

Nice stereotype. Bye Felicia.

6 Likes

“There are few teams we are prouder of having lost a debate to than the phenomenally intelligent and articulate team we faced this weekend,” they wrote. “And we are incredibly thankful to Bard and the Eastern New York Correctional Facility for the work they do and for organizing this event.”

Classy.
10 Likes

Your attempt at humor relies on disgusting stereotyping.

6 Likes

Yea really, these guys didn’t use the threat of violence to win, this was the white collar prison, they used bribery!

Video?

Is this debate like high school debates where people rattle off facts as fast as they can in an unintelligible babble?

What a terrific story – an object lesson in the value of opportunity, and of actually tapping untapped potential. It makes me simultaneously happy, for the inmates and that program, and sad – or maybe angry’s the better word – for all those who never get a similar chance to prove who they can be. Very glad these guys got that chance.

10 Likes

This may be the single coolest article I’ve read all year. I wish everyone in the country would come to appreciate this dynamic. What a great way to adjust our notions of the incarcerated.

What are you even doing here?

Maybe … a debate team that can unravel the mysteries of Steely Dan lyrics.

Inmates were once eligible for pell grants, and those who got college degrees in prison had uniquely low recidivism. But of course there was mindless tough-on-crime complaining about inmates getting educations, so that was stopped.

1 Like