Discussion: Harry Reid Endorses Hillary Clinton

I do always enjoy the Sanders supporters who scream about the battle of the grass roots vs the political elite… but overlook the fact that more people are voting for Clinton than Sanders…

She’s going to win because she’s going to get more votes

And we’ll get to listen to years of the Sander’s crowd crying about how the election was stolen from them by the party elites.

5 Likes

Being on a site like Talking Points Memo it’s easy to forget that the general population doesn’t follow politics the way any of us here do. I would not be surprised if most people are not aware how much is at stake. If they did, a lot of the things we have witnessed over the past couple of decades, and are witnessing right now would not happen.
I have no doubt that democrats will come together to support whoever the nominee is. But frankly that is no longer good enough. I don’t know if I believe in a revolution the way Sanders does, but stranger things have happened.

1 Like

Well by that token what investment has the Democratic party made into the candidates? We as democrats seem to be consistently outspent, and always on the defensive. I can’t say I’m very impressed with either the party’s tactics, or their lack of results.
I also don’t have your faith in Hillary doing as well against Trump as you think. I do think that purely based on demographics alone, there will come a time when democrats will have an unassailable majority, as most younger generations are simply not very conservative. But we aren’t there yet.

Not sure what is confusing you. The 1994 Omnibus Crime bill is what the emo-progs such as yourself are trying to attack Hillary Clinton for (because of her husband signing and championing it in the face exponential crime rate growth in the early 90s) which Sanders voted for.

So what part is confusing you?

3 Likes

Great point and well put. One other thing. I was a young man of 33 when Reagan took office and started dismantling what was left of the Second Reconstruction. As well as I knew what he was doing, when I was in the U.S., I was not following what he did to extent that my Dad did. Even when I was living outside the country, my “grownup thinking” was concentrated in my own narrow work area, NOT perusing current events in the U.S.

Post Script:

If you wish for the country’s survival, you, me and everyone not infected with GOP hate have GOT to unite around and support the Democratic Nominee, whomever that may be.

2 Likes

The party doesn’t spend money on primary candidates.
Never has.

Hillary has raised over $26 million for the DNC to use to win down-ticket races.
Bernie has raised $1000 for the DNC.

So which candidate is looking out for the party, and working to retake the Senate and some statehouses?

[quote=“Lestatdelc, post:105, topic:33419”]
So what part is confusing you?
[/quote] The part where a douchebro such as yourself thinks that recycling the slogans of the 1990’s is going to help a Clinton one more time.

It’s called the Black Misleadership Class.

http://www.blackagendareport.com/bogus_power_of_black_vote

She’s responsible for the positions she advocated for. Even in 1992.

Yes, democrats might not be enough. We need moderates and independents, and yes, a few Republicans and conservatives on our side.

And Hillary is our only chance of getting that.

3 Likes

So you are still confused even though it is pretty clear that you are trying to attack Hillary Clinton 1994 Omnibus Crime bill her husband signed and Sanders voted for.

Got it.

You mean the exact same position Sanders actually voted for?

2 Likes

Gee, and I wonder why blacks are having a hard time getting on the Sanders bandwagon.

2 Likes

Sanders did vote for the omnibus bill. He states it was because of his support for the Violence Against Women Act which was part of that Omnibus legislation.

He also offers a far different take on the situation than Hillary’s dogwhistling about bringing “super-predators” to “heel.”

[quote] Speaker, a society which neglects, which
oppresses and which disdains a very significant part of its
population–which leaves them hungry, impoverished, unemployed,
uneducated, and utterly without hope, will, through cause and effect,
create a population which is bitter, which is angry, which is violent,
and a society which is crime-ridden. This is the case in America, and
it is the case in countries throughout the world.
Mr. Speaker, how do we talk about the very serious crime problem in
America without mentioning that we have the highest rate of childhood
poverty in the industrialized world, by far, with 22 percent of our
children in poverty and 5 million who are hungry today? Do the Members
think maybe that might have some relationship to crime? How do we talk
about crime when this Congress is prepared, this year, to spend 11
times more for the military than for education; when 21 percent of our
kids drop out of high school; when a recent study told us that twice as
many young workers now earn poverty wages as 10 years ago; when the gap
between the rich and the poor is wider, and when the rate of poverty
continues to grow? Do the members think that might have some
relationship to crime?
Mr. Speaker, it is my firm belief that clearly, there are some people
in our society who are horribly violent, who are deeply sick and
sociopathic, and clearly these people must be put behind bars in order
to protect society from them. But it is also my view that through the
neglect of our Government and through a grossly irrational set of
priorities, we are dooming tens of millions of young people to a future
of bitterness, misery, hopelessness, drugs, crime, and violence.

{time}  1650

And Mr. Speaker, all the jails in the world, and we already imprison
more people per capita than any other country, and all of the
executions in the world, will not make that situation right. We can
either educate or electrocute. We can create meaningful jobs,
rebuilding our society, or we can build more jails.
Mr. Speaker, let us create a society of hope and compassion, not one
of hate and vengeance.

2 Likes

he put the squeeze on the service unions. normal ruff and tumble politics.

1 Like

http://www.blackagendareport.com/bogus_power_of_black_vote

Read it and then you won’t have to “wonder” any more.

Nahhh, just that Sanders never said this:

1 Like

Oh, I see. The sheeple can’t think for themselves, they are contaminated by what their bought-and-sold leaders tell them. Personal life experience doesn’t play into at all — particularly not in the minority community!

I mean, it’s great that you dug up Glen Ford, a fringe lefty and actual Black man to make your case, otherwise your comments verge dangerously close to those on the right who talk about the “Democratic plantation.”

3 Likes

SOME Sanders voters are going to treat her nomination much the same as Republicans have treated Obama’s presidency

I appreciate that you used “SOME” instead of broad brush bashing Bernie supporters. But why even bring it up? That seems to just be inviting more argument, and all of us on both sides need to put our efforts into the positive. The last thing we need is to alienate potential voters that mostly agree with Clinton and Sanders. We’re staring at down the barrel at not just a Trump presidency, but also at Trump appointing as many as 3 SC Justices. Democrats need to keep our eye on the prize and stop the negative infighting.

Disclaimer: You’re by far not the worst of the lot at this, in fact not too bad, but I reply to you both because I respect you and your opinions a great deal, and because a lot of other people do and your posts are read a lot.

Do I have to be nice to people who refer to Hillary supporters as douchebags or is it acceptable to tell the people in that crowd to go fuck themselves? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes