Discussion: Gwen Ifill Lists Stories That Deserve More Attention Than Benghazi (VIDEO)

Discussion for article #222387

Right she is. Not to mention that the Bendghazi obsession is a cynical effort to smear Hillary and obscure the fact that the GOP has absolutely nothing going for it. I was wondering if this so called ā€˜find’ of the memo was an intentional act on the part of the WH to keep the conservative media embroiled in an issue that does not resonate with the American people.

The 53 who died in embassy attacks during Bush’s presidency were barely worth a mention when they happened.

9 Likes

Somehow, I doubt anyone but maybe PBS and NPR would be filling the Benghazi vacuum with stories on war in Sudan.

More likely Cliven Bundy, Hillary’s poll ratings, and missing Malaysia flight updates.

4 Likes

Ifill is absolutely right. Why aren’t we hearing more about the kidnapped girls? That is a big story.

Oh, I know, it takes up time better devoted to a nothing burger Benghazi memo.

1 Like

To say nothing of the continued freedom of those who let 9/11 happen, lied the country into two wars, and tortured prisoners.

6 Likes

To quote the great Sarah Palin (heh), the correct answer to which stories deserve more attention than Benghazi is ā€œAll of them, Katieā€.

5 Likes

No matter how hard I try I can’t muster any emotion around the handling of Benghazi. Gwen Ifill is absolutely right. We should be focused on issues in South Sudan and in Nigeria. Does the average know-thing tea party racist know Boko Haram is? Would Fox News be capable of discussing and educating its viewers about religious extremism in Nigeria? It’s similar to religious extremism in the U.S., except that here the extremists are white. There are a lot of issues at home that affect white people, something you’d think they’d pay attention to, such as the heroin epidemic from New England to Staten Island. We have crumbling infrastructure (a landslide in Baltimore of all places), train derailments, and chemical spills. The GOP operates in a fantasy realm in which every burp and hiccup coming from the black president is cause for a scandal and a congressional hearing.

Didn’t Bush, Cheney, and Rice use talking points to get us into two unnecessary wars?

7 Likes

Here is a fair and balanced report from TPM. Mr. Ludt gives Ms. Ifill a full paragraph to say the latest on Benghazi from the media and the Republicans is much to do about nothing new. Then he uses 3 of the 5 paragraphs to regurgitate the right-wing talking points. This is pretty pathetic reporting — Conservatives are ā€œfeeling vindicated,ā€ emboldened," ā€œgloating.ā€ This is reporting? Kludt can’t recognized spin when he sees it? Disappointing Josh that your blog is posting this shit.

8 Likes

I don’t think ā€œvindicationā€ means what the Teakkklanners think it means.

3 Likes

Krauthammer…almost as dependably wrong as Bill Kristol. No thinking person should listen to anything this dyspeptic old man has to say…he’s simply parroting GOP talking points, and I am sure, making a very nice living off of it. But he’s still wrong…I do hope Ms. Graham was correct in predicting that this will backfire on the Rethugs. Even a blind squirrel and all that…

2 Likes

I’ve been critical of TPM’s reporting many times but I don’t see anything wrong this piece. Republicans are feeling vindicated, emboldened, and are gloating. He’s just reporting the facts.

1 Like

What I’m still waiting for the Benghazi-truthers to come up with is exactly where in the memo was the ā€œsmoking gun.ā€ It simply states how the administration should handle the issue, which they did, in public, and exactly as the memo stated. Where’s the ā€œnewā€ information?

Grasping at straws doesn’t even begin to describe their behavior.

3 Likes

perhaps an election in the largest democracy in the world?

What story are we missing, Charles? Here’s the incriminating line: ā€œTo underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure of policyā€

Why is that incriminating? Just saying ā€œcover-up!ā€ over and over again does not make what appears to me to be a routine email on dealing with the press incriminating.

One could ask where Charles was when Bush was actually covering things up… but that’s asking too much from these guys apparently.

1 Like

I love the look Gwen Ifill is giving during the exchange…sort of the visual of REALLY?
Gwen Ifill is one of the few journalists who has preserved her integrity. I wish we saw more of her outside of PBS. I gained a huge amount of respect for her as one of the only journalists that refused the Peterson propaganda machine…in fact…she might be the only one that did.

3 Likes

Gwen Ifill is so right, there is so much more to cover than Benghazi. For example, Pew finds more bad news for Obama and Democrats, another Illinois governor is under investigation, and small businesses hope that sticker shock is covered by Obamacare.

Trollin, trollin’, trollin’…

3 Likes

The Supreme Court just upheld prayer at government meetings. You must be disappointed.

Who cares about those people with no money, we gotta get Obummer outta office!!! /snark…but probably actually is reality, sadly enough.

Trollin’, trollin, trollin’…