Discussion: Graham On Trump Hush Money: ‘People Don’t Write Checks’ If They Think It’s A Crime

1 Like

Stupid people do.

60 Likes

“people don’t write checks if they think they’re involved in a crime.”

My guess is that:

1. no one involved thought is was a crime, or
  2. no one is smart enough to cover their tracks.
    IANAL, but I doubt either is a valid criminal defense.
28 Likes

Ah, the “no one could be that stupid” defense. Good luck with that.

47 Likes

So Senator Graham you’re going with “Trump is too dumb to know the rules?” Or hey he was really smart to write the check so now they can take the tax exemption for business purposes. Which is more believable?

18 Likes

Oh, that makes it OK then, because all that matters is whether the person thought they were committing a crime, not whether they actually committing a crime. Case closed, I guess.

20 Likes

If stupid was a defense, we wouldn’t need prisons. Besides, he knew.

44 Likes

The remark made was that by doing these in installments was to provide the illusion of a retainer. This would mask the purpose of the payment. But Lindsey is conveniently forgetting that comment by Cohen.

40 Likes

I wish the headline included “I’ve found…”

I suppose the esteemed senator has a lot of experience in criminal transfers of money?

16 Likes

So wait you think Trump didn’t know it was a crime so Trump’s off the hook? I am guessing Ms Lyndsey you are not familiar with the term ignorance of the law is not a defense. Good grief madam pull your head out Trump’s a$$ before you suffocate

20 Likes

Putin must have some very kinky KOMPROMAT on L’il Lindsay. Sure is amazing to see what happens every time ol’ Vlad is yanking that boy’s chain!

5 Likes

Life long criminals who are used to getting away with it do commit stupid blunders, that’s how they get caught.

17 Likes

That would be the worst defense ever for this president. I think there are mounds of evidence of acts similarly stupid.

Sure, I’d like to think our president isn’t that stupid. His actions suggest otherwise.

10 Likes

People that never, in a million years, thought they would get caught do. Look at tRump’s criminal record, it should be extremely long, but until he became POTUS he was totally in the shadows. Not any longer.

13 Likes

Well, they are pursuing this personality trait in so many ways. The stupid I mean. Trump will go down in history as the stupidest president in history at a minimum. Nice legacy.

10 Likes

When you are so arrogant that you think you are above the law you won’t have trouble doing things, including check writing that prove your guilt. Just like slimmy politicians will talk out of both sides of their mouth and still demand to be taken seriously, don’t you know Lindsey?

7 Likes

It’s okay Lindz—you can still visit him when he’s in prison. Better yet, you two could share a cell.

10 Likes

Look, some of these GOP’rs don’t really like Trump.

But the GOP was in waaaaaaaaay too deep with his campaign to not have at least know about some of the illegal or treasonous activities. Where was Reince? Cohen was Deputy Finance Chair. Who knew what about NRA and Russia while cashing their checks?

GOP like Graham are not protecting Trump from Trump. They are protecting the fall of their entire party. Once Trump goes, the dominos are all going to flip very quickly. This is why Reince resigned. This is why Paul Ryan resigned while Speake of the House…and others. They all wanted out before it all comes down.

20 Likes

I thought Graham was talking about Jussie Smollet?

2 Likes

Innocent people don’t typically resort to having their personal fixer pay off their mistress through a line of home equity credit, then reimburse them later.

17 Likes