Discussion: Gov't Ethics Chief Presses WH: 'A Waiver After The Fact Won't Fix The Problem'

1 Like

So the Trumpers just ignored the rules until they got caught—then they violated the rules because they don’t give a shit about honesty, transparency, or good government.

34 Likes

Rules are only for little people.

17 Likes

Life imprisonment for all of them might not fix the problem either.

But it would be a good start.

12 Likes

"I will not for a period of 2 years from the date of my appointment participate in any particular matter involving specific parties that is directly and substantially related to my former employer or former clients, including regulations and contracts…”

“With certain exceptions.”

25 Likes

This will go well until the head of the government Ethics office is relieved of his duties.

Hey, it happened with Comey.

17 Likes

They don’t give a shit about government, good or otherwise. Neither do most of the Rs up on Capitol Hill.

18 Likes

O you just don’t understand TrumpWorld. Anything Trump does solves everything in TrumpWorld. He’s the fucking President so reality bends to his almighty will.

15 Likes

Have you read about how disorganized the Comey replacement effort has been? Can’t decide how much is due to the normal incompetence of Trump’s staffing process and how much is calculated stonewalling.

8 Likes

Every time we hear from Shaub, I think “There is a dedicated public servant, doing his job the way it is supposed to be done.” We have a lot of people in government like him; they are a saving grace.

21 Likes

They’re a bulwark against Trumpism in all its repellent dumbassery.

14 Likes

Wasn’t the OGE also interested in waivers for the rest of the executive branch?

Meanwhile, you’ll notice that that waiver is way broader than it needs to be for just doing things like talking to former colleagues. If anybody wants to work to give a no-bid deal to their former company, or exempt them from regulations they don’t want to follow, that’s OK too.

2 Likes

It is both. They are clearly incompetent, but neglecting to replace people/fill open positions works to concentrate power in fewer hands, while also minimizing the role of the department. That is the real end game here.

12 Likes

On this type of stuff, That piece of orange shit can do whatever the hell he wants to do. Who’s going to stop him? Fortunately, we do have Mueller and the 2018 midterms to look forward to.

2 Likes

And they’re lawyering up.
“DC law firms say they’re getting a lot more inquiries from government employees, who are generally calling for one of three reasons: They’re worried about being caught up in an investigation, worried about being fired, or considering becoming whistleblowers.”

14 Likes

They aren’t the only ones.

4 Likes

Interesting. Each of those is a legitimate reason to lawyer up. Let us hope the whistleblowers get great lawyers.

3 Likes

I guess Mr Shaub may get “TWEETED” for his actions sometime in the early morning hours.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, they get away with much more than they would have during any other administration. The level of chaos and number of questionable (I’m being kind with that word) practices is so ridiculous that it is almost impossible to stay on top of all of them. We have to keep hoping that faithful government employees don’t give up . . . and that at least a percentage of these issues stay in the public focus.

5 Likes

“What we discovered was that several individuals on staff had previously worked for media organizations,"

Apropos of the renowned DT Extreme Vetting™ process, nobody knew that Bannon had worked for Breitbart until the immaculate discovery.

15 Likes