Discussion: GOPers *Swear* They're Not Worried About The Trump-Schumer Meeting

AAAARRRRGGGGGhhh!!!

3 Likes

Saw this in my net surfing. Not a bad proposal and they are red state Democrats

6 Likes

Surely, Republicans can just pray the shutdown away.

6 Likes

Put Trump on a diet?

2 Likes

Except that it would get challenged and any court worth their pay would call it un-Constitutional (27th amendment stipulated no change in pay until an election intervenes.)

2 Likes

The cotton Comrade, Tehran Tom is a bad liar. His moving lips are the tell.

2 Likes

That is totally laughable.
You know there all, and I mean all, scared shitless of what might happen in that meeting.
especially knowing trump has no problem throwing anyone and anybody under the bus in a heartbeat if it ends up with him looking like a super genius hero.

2 Likes

Ah no. I doubt he’d give up his addiction to fat.

1 Like

Yup, and one of the most shameful things these odious creatures have done since taking power.

Let’s be clear - we accepted these people in after a natural disaster devastated their country, and are now selling them into indentured servitude to a Middle Eastern country we’ve condemned for their human rights abuses? By any definition, we’re now officially the bad guys…

6 Likes

Keep dreaming. The Dems have all the momentum and a large majority. The GOP is on the wrong side of history and they know it.

1 Like

Can’t we just tell them that not passing the CR is the same as aborting DACA? Surely they couldn’t go along with such a liberal move?!!? :frowning:

2 Likes

So it would take effect after November.
It’s not going to get a floor vote in any event—Mitchy won’t allow it—but it is a great idea.

3 Likes

They know Trump has the attention span of a gnat and are worried that Schumer might get him to agree to something in writing.

I just cited a relevant CNN poll upthread, and as you suggest, a majority (including a strong majority of Republicans and a narrower majority of Independents) said preventing a shutdown was more important than extending DACA protections. A plurality of Democrats (49% to 42%) said extending DACA protections was more important than averting a shutdown.

However, in the very same poll, 47% of respondents said they’d blame Trump or the GOP Congress if the government shuts down, while less than a third said they’d blame Democrats. Go figure. (10% would blame all three).

(You can find the highlights of the poll here through this link…though you’ll have to scroll down a ways: http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/shutdown-latest/index.html There’s a link available there to the full poll, but you’ll have to do a lot of scrolling with that too, as this is just one part of a much larger poll.)

Meanwhile, the CNN poll apparently didn’t ask how many people thought that Congress should just go ahead and pass the DACA protections now, meaning the result would be DACA and no shutdown. I think those numbers would probably be quite high and would help explain the difference between the “DACA vs shutdown” numbers, and the “blame assignment” numbers.

Given the blame numbers, it’s also quite possible that if the Shutdown happens, and the Dems stand fast, the salient question will become “should the GOP compromise on DACA so the government can re-open.” Pretty sure those numbers would go our way, given the overall support for DACA, added to the desire to end the Shutdown.

Basically, I think the DACA vs shutdown polling I referred to above is just a snapshot taken at the moment when the focus is on whether the Senate will pass this CR. If they vote it down, then the focus moves to whatever negotiation and to who will or won’t support whatever the next attempt is.

This is why McConnell is pushing the vote to the very last minute. He and Ryan doesn’t want any time for other options to be considered, because then the focus might be on their own obstruction of a compromise plan that include DACA. Especially if it become clear, which I think it would, that such a compromise could probably pass both houses, albeit perhaps with more Democratic votes than Republican ones, and that this is only not happening because these leaders won’t let that compromise come to a floor vote in one or both houses. That’s the option they don’t want anyone thinking about. Their problem is, if the shutdown happens, and Dems stand fast against any CR that doesn’t include DACA, a bipartisan compromise becomes the next logical step (and possibly the only way out for everyone).

To send those Salvadorans to Qatar is just wrong headed. Why do GOPers hate their fellow human beings?

4 Likes

I’m getting the strong suspicion that they don’t see them as “human beings”. No soul? No problem - ship 'em!

4 Likes

A brutally, devastatingly accurate summary of the situation.

3 Likes

Well if Trump goes for deporting all 11 million undocumented immigrants then where will he get the money for that? Yes Sen. Cotton how much will it cost check, verify, and deport all 11 million undocumented immigrants? Sen. Perdue what will happen to the children that are US citizens when you send their mothers, fathers, and older siblings away? How much will that cost?

2 Likes

Not to mention the tax revenues that DACA participants are streaming into local, state, and federal coffers.

4 Likes

I’m so gratified to see republicans caring about CHIP. I remember how they “cared” before.

Two attempts to expand funding for the program were vetoed by President George W. Bush, who argued that such efforts were steps toward federalization of health care, and would “steer the program away from its core purpose of providing insurance for poor children and toward covering children from middle-class families.”

My husband wrote to our worthless congressional rep, Tim Walberg at the time (unfortunately still our rep - making his salary and doing nothing - thanks, Club For Growth). He sent the usual blah, blah, blah, know-nothing crap.

I’m hoping the woman running against him again, who’s bright, informed and has been everywhere talking to voters, will send his worthless ass forever into obscurity. His district includes the Hillsdale religious nuts, who have had their own sex scandals. We’ll see.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available