Discussion: GOPer: Bump Stocks Should Face 'Same Restrictions' As Automatic Weapons

Wow, something might actually happen for once. We can only hope.

3 Likes

My guess is there are other ways to make these guns go “automatic” and these Republicans know it.

4 Likes

This is the very least they could do…and it sounds like they’re not going to do it.

Until we properly interpret the 2nd amendment, I don’t know that we make much headway. As I see it, it’s meaning has been grossly distorted.

3 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Despite the legislation introduced by Dianne Feinstein, nothing will happen except for fatuous statements like these—because these GOP stalwarts know that Grassley won’t hold hearings and that McConnell won’t allow the bill to come to the floor.

There’s too much NRA money at stake—over $5 million in 2016 alone—and it’s widely known that GOPers are all whores for the NRA.

2 Likes

Geez, Bannon and the Alt-right are going to be real busy recruiting primary contenders for all these treasonous reps.

1 Like

I have a set of battlefield eating utensils that Napoleon used at Waterloo. $142,000 to you, because you’re special. Send me a message and we’ll get together.

2 Likes

Last night I posted this to some of the Arizonans here reminding them that Johnny Mc heads the list with nearly $8 million

2 Likes

Say what?!!?!?

A Republican said he would back a gun control measure of any sort. Baby, I’m amazed.

Oh, wait. He said should face the same restrictions, not that he would propose a law like that.

Now I get it. Talking out of both sides of his mouth. That’s a GOP specialty du maison since 1968 (or earlier).

2 Likes

Oh, sure, ban bump stocks. But let’s not kid ourselves that that will make any significant difference. And let’s be honest: measures like banning assault weapons have little effect on the overall death rate from firearms. A real change in that will require much more serious reform, and will be exponentially more difficult.

And on that line, from Brett Stephens, conservative columnist of The Times, a suggestion that we repeal the 2nd Amendment. At least he deals with the real issue.

https://nyti.ms/2xVeEz1

2 Likes

Earlier. They just got rid of the fins in '68.

1 Like

There are firing techniques and mechanical modulations for a variety of guns to make them auto or enable them to mimic automatic rates of fire. And the mechanical stuff can be under-the-radar legal. It might be illegal to perform the modification, but it might not be to buy a kit that makes it easier. So the kits quietly get sold. And a mechanical mod is more accurate because it enables you to fire while holding the weapon normally, which isn’t the case in bump firing.

1 Like

Because the stock is moving?

1 Like

Actually, bump stock are niche item. While the probability of a law affecting Sturm-Ruger or Smith and Wesson passing is 0, the probability of a bump stock law passing is less than epsilon, for some epsilon > 0, but it’s also > 0 itself.

2 Likes

Just go on YouTube and you’ll see countless “automatic” rifles being fired by the ya-hoos. They all know how to do it,

1 Like

As I understand you push the rifle forward with your non-trigger hand, the recoil shoves it back so the trigger can reset, and the forward push fires it again, all very rapidly.

1 Like

How are the little old ladies on Longboat Key going to protect themselves in their gated communities?

Neighborhood nuclear superiority. Neutron bombs for everyone!

1 Like

New bumper sticker (no pun intended)
“When they outlaw bump stocks only outlaws will…”
Zzz Zzz Zzz.