Discussion: GOP Senators Offer Praise For Clinton’s VP Pick

I’m not sure if picking someone the Republicans like is a good move or a bad move for Clinton…or anyone else. I’ll have to ponder this.

2 Likes

Flake and Toomey. Sounds like a Vegas musical duet. Good on them for speaking the truth (about Kaine) and being gracious. I have a good feeling about this VP choice.

29 Likes

Hmm… could we be seeing a coded “vote your conscience” campaign coming from the #NeverTrumps?

43 Likes

Calm, respected by opponents, steady, Hillary showed her governing skill with selection of Kaine.

44 Likes

“While Hillary Clinton would be a disaster as president, I have high regard and respect for Tim Kaine,” he said. “He is a good choice for the Democratic ticket.” (PA Senator Toomey)

??? Hillary is the devil … and Kaine is good for the Dem ticket? Cognitive dissonance much?

24 Likes

Did the recent endorsements by Bush era neoconservatives make you feel any better? It’s a strange, strange election season.

4 Likes

“GOP Senators Offer Praise For Clinton’s VP Pick”

“Back StabbersThe O’Jays”

“A few of your buddies they sure look shady
Blades are long, clenched tight in their fist
Aimin’ straight at your back
And I don’t think they’ll miss”

OT:

"Judge inclined to deny Trump’s request to dismiss lawsuit
A federal judge said Friday that he is inclined to deny a request by Donald Trump’s lawyers to dismiss a lawsuit that accuses the Republican presidential nominee of defrauding customers at the now-defunct Trump University

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2016-07-22/trump-seeks-to-dismiss-lawsuit-over-trump-university

6 Likes

Probably more of a slap to Trump. The sane Republicans are looking ahead and laying the groundwork for working with a Clinton/Kaine administration.

30 Likes

Flake and Toomey are both in tough reelection fights in moderate areas and so this was an obvious head fake to them. I do believe they think Kaine is a good selection but one usually wouldn’t congratulate the D’s on it.

9 Likes

Just give them two decades. Early stage Clinton animus dementia only seems harmless.

2 Likes

Flake is not running for reelection this year.

4 Likes

Flake is not up for re-election this year, as he so memorably told Trump in a meeting a couple weeks back.

After almost eight years of Republicans sinking to unprecedented levels to obstruct President Obama, I’m ready to welcome back any semblance of bipartisanship to get things done in Washington (with a Democrat as President).

27 Likes

It’s like word vomit with these folks. 25 years of programmed word vomit.

14 Likes

We may be dreaming, but even Toomey’s typically inconsistent take does begin to undercut the blanket demonization of all things D, which is to the long term good, one would think. Not sure where (or if there are) the boundaries between rational and irrational Republican voters are presently, but have to believe that there are some out there for whom this failure by a couple of their own to excoriate Kaine from the get-go might be a crack in the edifice of vitriol they have constructed against Hillary and her associated forces of evil, and allow for ‘conscience’ – concern for the country, dare one suggest – to creep into their thoughts and reflect in their approach to this election. But, probably wishful dreaming. Sigh.

7 Likes

Kaine will play well with the Pennsyltucky voters residing in between Philadelphia and Pittsburg. He may be praising pro-life Catholic Kaine in the hopes that those voters will split their ticket.

13 Likes

Politically, Hillary is a moderate Republican, so no surprises here.

2 Likes

Actually, Kaine is pro choice, though he freely volunteers that he is “personally” opposed to abortion as a Catholic. He sounds more like a Catholic in the Kennedy vein. As an official of state he respects the Separation of Church and State. As a Catholic he has beliefs he would never impose on the secular world.

This is a core Catholic reconciliation of seemingly opposing principles that Kaine shares with probably most Rust Belt Catholic voters that HRC must retain to win.

31 Likes

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA), who is running in a hotly-contested reelection race, released a statement on Friday knocking Clinton but saying he respected her choice for VP.

“While Hillary Clinton would be a disaster as president,
I have high regard and respect for Tim Kaine,” he said.
“He is a good choice for the Democratic ticket.”

HRC Spox:

“F^ck you very much for your support soon-to-be-ex-Sen Toomey.”

jw1

10 Likes

The way I parse this is that the Republicans have invested so much in their “Hillary Clinton is the Devil!” message that they can’t come out and say “Screw Trump! I’m with her!” But they can manage to praise her VP, and maybe around November aver that they see it in their heart-of-hearts to vote for Tim Kaine as VP.

15 Likes