Discussion: GOP Senators Already Spinning 'Skinny Repeal' As Not-So-Bad Backup Plan

1 Like

Next up: “We saved the day! We’re only eliminating health insurance for 15M instead of 24M. Thanks us for our kindness!!!”

12 Likes

“Because, what we do know is we can’t simply walk away from trying to repair this product.”

So, we will break it. And do it before we figure out how we’ve broken it.

6 Likes

And lots and lots of republicans saying “It’s only fair to give this bill the airing and debate it deserves.”
Because, of course, that always matters to them.

9 Likes

Orrin Hatch’s comment is telling, “Who knows?” In no reasonable society should that description be acceptable as a legislator’s response to something that is 1/6 of the country’s economy.

14 Likes

Leadership!

7 Likes

Not so bad compared to what? Plague? Global Thermonuclear War?

5 Likes

From a policy level, a skinny repeal that merely eliminated Obamacare’s individual and employer mandates, and some of its taxes would be a disaster for the individual market. Senate Republicans are hoping that by getting something out the Senate, they can come up with a better plan during the process to conference with the House-passed replacement bill.

So, what they’re saying is that they’ll completely undercut the mechanism that makes the ACA function for the sole purpose of moving the flaming bag of dog sh*t onto the steps of the House.

10 Likes

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

5 Likes

Who knew healthcare could be so complicated?

5 Likes

As I understand it, the ‘skinny’ repeal just takes away the individual mandate. Dumpster Fire has already made clear that he is directing the IRS to not enforce the individual mandate provisions, so what’s the point?

4 Likes

KILL THE BILL! Now!

1 Like

Repealing the mandate is repealing the ACA. Senate is voting to repeal the ACA. Period.

4 Likes

Traitors to their country and citizens. It is that simple.

Knowing that this will cause severe hardship to tens of millions of Americans, they are pushing this through without any discussion through sheer cowardice.

5 Likes

How does skinny repeal pass through reconciliation? Or is there a secret “pass it before the parliamentarian can rule” provision for Mitch?

4 Likes

Yep

I think skinny repeal is designed specifically to be reconcile-able, at a cost of not actually being able to keep the health insurance marketplace functional.

In that sense, it’s an even cruder devolution of the pupu platter of the House or original Senate bills, which at least paid lip service to the idea of keeping an individual mandate of some form. What’s most important is that it can pass, not if it will work in any way.

5 Likes

You might be right, but at first glance I don’t see how either of the mandates has a primarily budgetary effect.
I guess we’ll find out :grimacing:

3 Likes

But remember, if the skinny repeal passes, it goes to the conference. And there it will turn back into the House bill, then will be changed to increase number of people loosing insurance and then it will be finally passed.

Skinny repeal takes away only one leg of a three legged stool, and the value of a two legged stool is close to zero, it is not enough for Republicans – they won’t rest until they take all three legs.

And Republican “moderates” will fold. So all the recent praise for Collins (regarding her opposition to the bill or hot mic comments on Farenthold) is pointless. As long as she remains a Republican, she is functionally not better than the said Farenthold.

7 Likes

Lee has rep=ortesdly voted yes on MTP

COLLINS AND MERKOSKI NO

2 Likes