Discussion: GOP Official Rails Over Effort Aimed At Nomination Rules

interesting… the closed echo chamber that the Republicans seem to live in somehow lets them fantasize that they actually have any candidate that could possibly win in November…

17 Likes

Obstruct, Impede, Subvert. It’s been their strategy for the last 7 years against Obama, why not try it against their own party members?

24 Likes

This couldn’t be happening to a more deserving bunch. Popcorn, anyone? – I’ve popped a fresh batch.

13 Likes

Ryan is the Cinderella in waiting, but he is also the chair of the convention. Many shoes still to drop here.

4 Likes

Who would be Paul Ryan, the consummate Washington insider.

As much as they try to stage a “revolution”, Republicans keep voting for the same old establishment that concocts new taxes (i.e. on renewable energy technologies) and spends like drunken sailors (i.e. rebuilding infrastructure in foreign countries).

But you go with House rules, Republicans, and keep pretending things will be different.

7 Likes

The smoky back room rears its head in GOP politics.
Trump learns (sort of) a lesson… but can’t react well to the result thereby damaging himself as people learn about his immaturity.
And the GOP powers that be think a “white knight” is gonna ride into the convention and save their asses in November??
There was this talk last July when all this brouhaha got started about the GOP having a deep bench of talent… and it comes down to Cruz and Trump. The senator hated by his colleagues in the senate to such a degree they can’t work with him in his own caucus. And then there’s the billionaire buffoon who thought he could buy the presidency as a play thing to add to his collection of toys.

16 Likes

“He said the convention’s presiding officer could use existing rules…”

So, the GOP leadership is going by the rules that currently exist and have through out this entire campaign! How…heinous? I dont get it.

It’s this clown on the rules committee in AZ trying to change the rules mid game, not the GOP leadership. If I was the leadership I’d be “resisting” (aka…going by the rules) too!

It’s absolutely UNCANNY how effortlessly Republicans re-frame the message 180 degrees from reality every time! They constantly redefine known words and terms, as if everyone else are the dummies for “not getting it”.

3 Likes

Not enough popcorn in the universe.

Having been to a couple of large-organization annual meeting where stuff gets voted on, I can say that yep, it’s pretty much all in the rules committee that the real fights happen. Because if you can get your set of rules adopted, you can make it so that what your opponents wanted to do simply never gets to a vote.

As I understand it, each convention tinkers with the rules to avoid whatever debacle was perceived as having happened (or almost happened) at the previous one, so this is no different, except for the real consequences.

7 Likes

More evidence that Republicans are not interested in democracy.

2 Likes

Hell, if these are the current set of rules, then that’s the dice roll the last rules-changing folks made. I do understand their frustrations, but the Republicans richly deserve to scratch each others’ eyes out. I’ll even donate the nail sharpeners.

5 Likes

When I attended committee meetings at the university where I worked we followed Robert’s Rules of Procedure. And it worked. It still can. But GOPers can’t follow simple instructions. They hafta be bent for to suit the definition of the moment. The GOP bubble is off the rails and headed for a drubbing. (snicker)

8 Likes

If you didn’t already realize it, this letter is proof that there will be blood at this summer’s GOP convention. Don’t let the kids watch, I beg of you.

3 Likes

They are controlling people, especially the rich and religious fanatics. Conservatives are not rational or honest people.

3 Likes

Kasich may need to call out the National Guard —

8 Likes

I understand these guys’ thinking, because the public most likely would never accept the backroom horsetrading of yesteryear, not after going through months of primaries. Times have changed, simple as that. But OMG the choices—Trump as candidate and electoral disaster. Throwing the results out and picking, say, Kasich, Ryan, that ilk—the entire party goes into convulsions and you have an electoral disaster. Give it to Cruz, Trump and his people go ballistic and declare war on the party, electoral disaster.

12 Likes

It truly is a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don’t situation – but they oh-so willingly made that bed.

7 Likes

Obama: I should have done more to keep the Republican Party together.

2 Likes

You know it. Very few people today see how radical they’ve become, and I don’t think they saw it until recently themselves, but they know now they have a problem. The rank and file fears a more acceptable candidate, so I’m striving to prevent that fear from being realized—ai yi yi, that’s craziness.

5 Likes

You broke it, you bought it. Now, WEAR IT!

4 Likes