Discussion: GOP Latinos To 2016 Republican Candidates: Stop Offending Us, Or You’ll Lose

Discussion for article #242243

The rest of us to GOP Latinos - "¡Shhhhhhhhh!!!¡

6 Likes

Strong words coming from fellow conservatives.

3 Likes

Nice speech, Senorita. Now make me a taco!!

Sincerely
Donald Trump

14 Likes

How do you say “clueless” in Spanish?

1 Like

Sorry, but I see Poppie Bush and son George the Lesser behind this move. Jeb! is the only one to benefit from this Hispanic GOP group, with its leader having served in a GWB administration. In the end, GWB did nothing for the Hispanic population in this country.

Its crazy that there are any GOP Hispanics imo, after all that has been said about not granting any immigrants a path to citizenship by all of the candidates and refusal to do comprehensive immigration reform over the last 7 years. Its not just tRump. If this group had spoken up earlier instead of just now, their fucking party would have felt the heat a lot sooner and some of these legislators in Congress wouldn’t have gotten into office in the first damn place.

And that fucking GOP autopsy was a fig leaf that shut down any criticism of their bigotry for months until they started to ramp up the insults and inaction all over again in order to solidify their base for political expediency. So how much more proof does this Hispanic GOP group need before they abandon ship? Seems to me they already have plenty.

16 Likes

If the GOP had any brains, they’d make sure that Susana Martinez was on the ticket as Veep. Given her resume, there’d be a good chance she would peel off enough Hispanic votes to put Colorado and New Mexico in play for the GOP, and her background coming from a law enforcement family would—if we were talking about a sane GOP base—allay fears that she’d be soft on crimes committed by illegals. If nothing else, I think she’d be a more positive addition to the ticket from the standpoint of attracting Hispanic votes as Veep than Rubio would be at the top.

2 Likes

What the last 40 years have shown to me is that when it comes to Republican politics, tribal identities trump (ha ha) almost everything else.

4 Likes

OK, this is a time honored strategy - Put candidate with ethnicity/nationality/religion “X” on ticket, and reap votes from electorate of same. But hasn’t the GOP as a whole invalidated this strategy for any individual candidate? Especially this year, with these candidates?

1 Like

They had 8 years under GWB and Hispanics got nothing of substance from the previous administration towards addressing their issues. I don’t recall the outcry by this group back then either.

So what I see is a political operative for Bush! leading the charge, seeing how Bush! is incapable of carrying out the attack on his own without shoving his own foot down his throat. He’s such a failure whenever he speaks. Best to leave it to dad and brother Georgie’s political operatives to do the dirty work.

8 Likes

I’ll believe it when I see it. Even without the current candidate rhetoric, which you could MAYBE excuse as political pandering to get elected and maybe soften once the election wraps up, there is the House Republicans getting a promise from Ryan that no immigration reform will happen - period - during Obama’s presidency. And you know that’s not going to change in any good meaningful way for latinos after he leaves office regardless of who takes the White House next.

Latinos in the Republican party, like women or LGBT’s or any other non-white minority that are STILL supporting the GOP are suffering from an incredible case of battered wife syndrome. They are laughing at you.

2 Likes

Is this Marín’s first day on the internet? Republicans have been shitting on Latinos for years. Wake up!

3 Likes

And even they blew it. This little temper tantrum by the conservative Hispanics won’t change a single thing. At the same time they were making their “statement” news was blaring about how Ryan had agreed to NEVER bring an immigration bill to the house floor. Love your description of how Jeb! operates.

3 Likes

One would think this group would go after Ryan et al. in the Congress that have essentially said the same fucking thing as tRump and the other candidates are now saying. But on that…we hear crickets. Funny how that selectivity works for this particular group.

2 Likes

Are there any others? *Facepalm

2 Likes

This group is like the Log Cabin Republicans. Fuck them too.

8 Likes

They might want to consider why they belong to a political party that Trump and his followers call home.

2 Likes

“American Principles Project’s Latino project”

That’s the Koch funded Latino outreach project.

1 Like

They have certainly made such a strategy less effective and quite transparent for the pandering it would be.

The point of such a strategy at this point is merely to provide some comfort/cover to people like this group. They have essentially abandoned any attempt at minority reach out, particularly to Hispanics, for the General election. They weren’t planning on it as the main thrust anyway, but Trump removed it from the board entirely.

I think Martinez’s stock as a VP may have dipped a bit, too. She isn’t a good fit for either Rubio of Cruz, for obvious reasons, who knows who Trump or Carson would pick and nobody else, including JEB (who she made the most sense) has much hope of getting the nomination anyway. Plus, her beneath the radar, no scandal image, has taken a ding with the SoS down there going on a gambling binge with party money.

1 Like

Newsflash, Latino conservatives (e.g., “single-issue folks who consistently vote for the party that demonizes them”): the GOP has already lost. Usted debe estar pensando en la marca o reiniciar su propio identifikation fiesta.

2 Likes