Discussion: GA's Outdated Election System May See Changes In Light Of Gov Race Scrutiny

Lets start with the secretary of state supervising elections he is involved in.

5 Likes

I’m sure Governor UnKemp will be all over this.

And not in a good way…

He’ll likely out-source the project to Kris Kobach, who has a lot of time on his hands now…

4 Likes

Shorter Republican
But…but…We like it broken
We’re good with it

6 Likes

So it would cost about $5 a citizen to put in a known-working system. Way too much.

It’s interesting to read the touch-screen holdouts trying to figure out a way to justify their crap. (And just what will people do if they find out that their “receipts” have the wrong information? And if there is a “receipt” then why the separate non-human-readable bar code? Talk about rube goldberg)

3 Likes

Once the populace begins to mistrust election results, it becomes almost impossible to restore trust. We are in very dangerous territory here and there are a thousand guys out there who know more about electronic voting machines than the entire election board put together and they are willing to do just about anything for a few million dollars.

At my last job the corporate overlords decided to install some software for the nurse case managers to use that was bought (for millions) in a sweetheart deal with a company being run by a former CEO of the same corporation. It was a first order disaster and trying to manage it was the number one thing that inspired be to retire 4 years ahead of schedule despite iffy personal finances.

The people making the choices in our elections here in the 21st century are, for the most part, woefully unqualified. I anticipate much worse scandals around elections going forward despite people’s best efforts. If a machine can be programmed to reverse or disappear your vote, it can be programmed to give you a receipt that shows what you actually voted for despite the ultimate failure of the vote being counted correctly.

3 Likes

Putting aside all the reasons why they don’t want paper ballots, isn’t this sufficient on its face for any “Republican” to favor hand-marked optically-read paper ballots?

Republican State Rep. Barry Fleming, who co-chairs the commission, said costs vary widely. Initial expenditures would be roughly $50 million for a hand-marked paper ballot system and about $150 million for a ballot-marking machine system, he said at last month’s meeting.

We’ve been using this in MA for as long as I can remember, and it’s easy, fast, and verifiable. Which, of course, are some of the reasons Republicans don’t want this.

5 Likes

This has worked for the status quo in GA for decades…another means to minimize the "other"and ensure the GOP iNvokes their will with impunity. Voters be damned.

2 Likes

Yep, and now that there is the scintilla of a chance of some so called Republicans flirting, I say, flirting with contested primaries of Donald Trump, the GA GOP is not going to do anything that might encourage that.

2 Likes