Discussion: Fox Host Proudly Cracks Birther Joke About Ted Cruz

Discussion for article #234619

¨The problem I have is, is he running for himself or is he running for the country?" Gutfeld asked. "Republicans have had their fill of attention-seeking vessels who are looking for a talk show or looking for something else. The problem with the Republican candidates is that we want vision, and they want television.¨

Umm, Gary, have you checked out the Republican field recently? As they say, ¨looking for a talk show¨ is a feature, not a bug, there.

8 Likes

Allow me to put the Fox folks on the couch for a moment:

“The only person who didn’t know Ted Cruz was running was Ted Cruz. We’ve known about this. He has been running for years. The problem I have is, is he running for himself or is he running for the country?” Gutfeld asked. “Republicans have had their fill of attention-seeking vessels who are looking for a talk show or looking for something else. The problem with the Republican candidates is that we want vision, and they want television.”

Co-host Kimberly Guilfoyle jumped in to ask Gutfeld if he thinks Cruz wants a “contributorship.”

“I think that’s the case,” Gutfeld responded.

The easier comment here is that this is a veiled jab at Sarah Palin and, perhaps, Mike Huckabee. But these folks don’t see in the remark “The problem with the Republican candidates is that we want vision, and they want television”–which really is a nice line–that Fox has more than a little to do with the creation of that dilemma. The medium is indeed the message, as we’ve known now in American politics ever since we saw Nixon’s 5-o’clock-shadow in 1960, but Fox’s particular approach to the medium actively discourages discussions of vision that extend beyond that which can be covered in five-minute segments consisting of people yelling ad hominems at straw men.

But Cruz has (persuaded himself that he has) a vision, and his actions over the past two years in the Senate show clearly that he doesn’t care how those actions play among his colleagues as he acts in accordance with that vision. He’s no Sarah Palin, which means that we can’t just laugh at him.

6 Likes

Joke or not, I’m genuinely surprised the Cruz Birther stuff is bubbling up on Fox News. I thought for sure they kept that in reserve just for candidates of color.

3 Likes

How long will it be until these very people are angrily discussing how “The Left” is guilty of “birtherism”? (With a “no candidate in the history of the republic has ever been subjected to such abuse” thrown in for good measure?)

11 Likes

That is the purpose of this particular propaganda gambit.

They eat their own.

Personally, I’m waiting for Donald Trump’s crack investigative team for the conclusive scoop on whether Cruz is qualified to be president.

Update:

Gack! Trump beat me to it:

“He’s got a hurdle that nobody else seems to have at this moment. It’s a
hurdle and somebody could certainly look at it very seriously. He was
born in Canada,” Trump said in an interview with myfoxny.com, adding that “you’re supposed to be born in this country.”

Actually, Trump has an added obstacle even under his own standards:

“you’re supposed to be born”.

That does it for him right there.

10 Likes

Cruz is Latino, though he doesn’t engage in a politics of ethnic identity. That said, there indeed are people out there who make the argument that one has to be born on U.S. soil, and one’s mother has to be a citizen, in order to be considered a “natural-born citizen,” and they’re using that argument against Cruz, as are they his renouncing only in 2013 his dual citizenship with Canada, and his father’s becoming a U.S. citizen only in 2005.

Sure, Fox is laughing about it now, but when Ailes starts to dictate the narrative on Cruz, they’ll be questioning his birthplace and his heritage (Daddy Cruz palled around with Castro, after all). That should be his death knell.

FOX News has had THEIR candidate chosen for them by the Oligarchs: Jeb Bush.
It is now their JOB to minimize all other Republican Candidates for President, just like they did last time around.
Now, this can change. Last time a huge influx of money got them to temporarily support Newt Gingrich, and “anyone but Mittens” but we know how that turned out.

3 Likes

“Republicans have had their fill of attention-seeking vessels who are looking for a talk show or looking for something else.”

Curious. They’ve never looked for anything else before, and I seriously doubt they’ve gotten any smarter based on observable evidence.

Let’s all hope that’s not too soon. We have a lot of laughs in store, and I’d hate to see it come to a premature end. In fact, if he loses the primary, I’ll be donating five bucks to his independent bid as the Beckerhead Party candidate.

My money is on being accused of racism against a Latino to take Florida Cuban Mafia support from Rubio.

2 Likes

“Republicans have had their fill of attention-seeking vessels who are looking for a talk show”

Awww, sounds like Gutfeld is feeling the pressure. His resume isn’t looking as bright as some of his new workplace competition.

Donald The Rump has already cracked the birther joke.

“attention-seeking vessels” - that’s actually pretty good

2 Likes

As opposed to Hatched?

This is the gig where Faux personalities talk about stuff they’re totally without any understanding of what they’re talking about it? Won’t work for Cruz. He has nothing but disdain for people who didn’t attend Princeton or Harvard and no one in this group went to either one.

Greg Gutfeld:

Republicans have had their fill of attention-seeking vessels who are looking for a talk show …

… said a Republican on a talk show.

The problem with the Republican candidates is that we want vision, and they want television.

Gutfeld said that? Greg Gutfeld?

My smack, it is gobbed. I can’t believe Gutfeld actually said something almost within spitting distance of witty.

He must have plagiarized it from someone.

2 Likes

“Aren’t we tired of having a president who wasn’t born here?” Gutfeld asked

HAW HAW HAW…that just knocked 'em dead at the WFW Lounge in Moline, Illinois during Pie Night.

I love their talent show. Last year a woman from Goofy Ridge played ‘Lady of Spain’ on an old manure spreader she found in a shelter belt.

1 Like

Cruz is apparently out at Fox. Who does Rupert and Roger want?