Discussion: For A GOP Congress In Chaos, Things Are About To Get Way, Way Worse

Discussion for article #241140

that wedge probably means they’re going to put Republicans into a minority status, either in the next election or for some time to come

You built that.

32 Likes

I will say this–Republicans do put the fun in dysfunctional.

But I so wish that they would take their misogyny, bigotry, homophobia, and anti-intellectualism elsewhere.

I understand Mars has running water.

35 Likes

These Republican children will ruin this country simply out of spite.

28 Likes

What always amazes me about stories like this is that all this chaos is based on a fallacy. A highly edited, inaccurate film that has no basis in realty.

It’s like the entire government is living in some kind of alternative universe la-la-land, and all regular people can do is sit back, shake their heads and hope that some day they come down to Earth and start fixing real problems that effect real people.

19 Likes

“I think it’s like throwing raw meat to some of these people. They’re not going to see it as a gesture of peace, they’re just going to look for more," Rep. Peter King (R-NY)

Come now, Rep. King. Surely a card-carrying Republican can think of a better analogy for appeasing lunatics bent on total domination than that? Something historical, maybe? Something Churchillian? I’m sure I’ve heard you use a snappier analogy than that.

9 Likes

I don’t see chaos, just the usual venality and inaction. More groinal obsession, especially with regards to lady junk. The austerity donkey has pretty much been kicked to death.

3 Likes

‘No taxation without representation’ has morphed into ‘I love the smell of napalm in the morning,’

12 Likes

"November and December are going to be like Dante’s ‘Inferno’ around here,” Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ) told the New York Times.

But without the laughs.

13 Likes

As my wife says, “They built their own tangled web, let them sleep in it.”

Sometimes it takes two cliche’s in one to make the point.

But is there any doubt, the power mongers on the right are regretting ever empowering the Tea Mob in the first place?

How many times did someone (me included) allude to “Frankenstien’s Monster” when that debacle was unfolding in 2009?

When they cobbled that monster together from the bigots, the rednecks, and the evangelicals, they knew they’d eventually have to pay for it, but they probably didn’t expect the monster to get so powerful that it would actually shut down government.

They are learning the hard way just which piper they have to pay now.

When they drew in the evangelicals, it was the promise of stricter regulations and outright bans on birth control and abortion that they led with in their literature and propaganda, and now it has come back to torment them both at the ballot box and in the halls of Congress.

Now they live in mortal fear of that monster, from one shut-down threat to the next, as it devours their Grand Old Party from within, one election at a time.

39 Likes

schadenfreude is fine, in moderation, but this is getting self-indulgent…

12 Likes

Definition of conservative:

con·ser·va·tive \kən-ˈsər-və-tiv
: believing in the value of established and traditional practices in politics and society : relating to or supporting political conservatism
: not liking or accepting changes or new ideas

I will never refer to Republicans as conservatives again. The current Republican party left conservatism behind decades ago. They’re now right-wing extremists, political terrorists, and fringe radicals who have no respect for the tradition of governing for the good of all.

24 Likes

No, the Planned Parenthood video is just a pretext for the shutdown. As has been noted, the 12 appropriations bills that form the meat of the budget have not been drafted, and some reports indicate the budget committees haven’t even met yet.

This sounds like the last couple of go-rounds, when the Republicans show up a few moments before shutdown with a take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum.

16 Likes

And to that end, yet one more PP organization has been cleared of any wrongdoing in this ‘scandal’:

https://www.ago.mo.gov/home/ag-koster-finds-no-evidence-of-wrongdoing-in-planned-parenthood-investigation

8 Likes

It’s high time Democrats ran a unified, nationalized campaign to throw Republicans out. Nancy Pelosi should be openly and publicly recruiting the 30 Republicans who are weariest of lurching from one manufactured crisis to the next, to switch parties. Clinton, Sanders, Malloy, et al should of course be aggressively positive in their competition for better ideas moving forward, but halfway through their stump speech, they need to pivot to the fact that electing them President isn’t nearly enough. You have to throw every Republican out of every level of government, all the way down to County Clerk. And call them out by name, on the campaign trail.

16 Likes

That pretext will backfire on them:

Americans have a generally favorable image of Planned Parenthood, with 41% viewing the group favorably and 31% unfavorably, the NBC/Wall St. Journal poll found. Planned Parenthood’s image has actually gotten slightly more favorable since the controversy began, the poll found, although the shift from a poll in July was within the survey’s margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

By contrast, only 29% of Americans have a favorable view of the Republican Party, with 45% viewing the GOP unfavorably

On Monday, September 28, Missouri’s Attorney General cleared Planned Parenthood of any wrongdoing:

“As a result of our investigation, the Office of the Missouri Attorney General has found no evidence that that [Planned Parenthood] has engaged in unlawful disposal of fetal organs and tissue,” a report concluded. Investigations in Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and South Dakota have cleared the group, as well, and a seventh has declined to even open investigations, citing lack of evidence.

Alas, TPM found the Duck Dynasty star endorsing Trump story relevant and newsworthy while ignoring the above stories yesterday.

7 Likes

Yes, but sadly that seems to matter little to these freaks.

1 Like

You would think, but these people seem immune to anything but what’s in their bubble.

Bottom line–The Asses with get a lot Holey-er

I have an annoying quibble about the headline to share. Congress: The Experience is not an amusement ride. Nobody should give the tiniest shit how bad Congress becomes for the Republicans who broke it. Things are getting way, way worse for the people whose lives and business ventures are perpetually on standby.

I’d be for more interested in the profile of, say, a park ranger who can’t save up a down payment on a home because she keeps getting furloughed. And then trace the ripple effects throughout the economy, of a bunch of people abruptly not getting paid timely.

11 Likes