Discussion: Florida Officials Banned From Using Term 'Climate Change'

Discussion for article #234078

Well, doesn’t mean you can’t use “réchauffement.” By the way, the language control is straight out of the Soviet playbook.

38 Likes

Well, thank God that issue is now solved!

Who would have believed that we could fix the planet simply by refusing to acknowledge the existence of a problem?

29 Likes

Ignoring reality doesn’t make it go away.

14 Likes

Language control becomes thought control, right out of George Orwell. Would someone please explain how this kind of action on the part of the Florida government is not in violation of the Constitution.

23 Likes

Next week he and Rubio will be jointly announcing a statewide ban on hurricanes ensuring a steady stream of votes from grateful Floridians.

33 Likes

Isn’t this a violation of people’s free speech?

12 Likes

Did the also ban the terms, “Orwellian” and 'Ministry of Truth"? Did budget cuts eliminate 1984 and Animal Farm from the high school reading lists? This I never thought I would live to see.

10 Likes

So no preparation for “imaginary damages from hurricanes”?

4 Likes

My understanding is that prior restraint of free speech is unconstitutional.

18 Likes

TPM Headline: Florida Officials Banned From Using Term ‘Climate Change’

For some reason, Florida officials are also banned from using the term: Walking, Talking Bald Dildo Powered By Cheap-Ass and Buggy As Hell AI.

I can’t imagine why.

8 Likes

They’re not restraining, heaven forfend. They’re just broadly hinting that if you talk about certain subjects you’ll get your ass fired. Very different thing.

9 Likes

Banned?
Next thing you know they will only be allowed in the room with one
other person at a time—outside of their family.

1 Like

Actually, I think we have a cable news network cough-Fox-cough and an entire political party devoted to that philosophy here in America.

10 Likes

Fuck these fucking fuckers.

16 Likes

Well said.
Succinct and to the point.

8 Likes

Not just the Soviet playbook. Authoritarians generally like state control of language.

4 Likes

Replace these words with “the hand of God” as Florida says goodbye to the

Keys…

3 Likes

And, by all means, do not use the words “climate change” when MOST of the Miami shoreline is 2 in. underwater. Like in, say, the next 5 years.

6 Likes

The Spin Zone

Thank God you have conservatives around to make sure only the right words are allowed, because if it was anybody else, you couldn’t call it freedom.

12 Likes