Discussion: FL Poised To Become Next State To Crack Down On Voter-Led Ballot Initiatives

A government by the corporations and for the corporations, thus say so all state legislators.

15 Likes

Yeah, what do stinking voters have to say about anything?

What do they think they are? Enfranchised?

13 Likes

Being in NC, where voters do not get to do ballot initiatives, and our very heavy handed gerrymander under dubious intents. I would like to share, I am grateful one of our Legislature lead ballot initiatives has been called into question because we are still under “illegal gerrymander” since 2011. (If you read TPM, you know they shared yesterday, another stepping stone of how we in NC have continually been denied a True Voice.)

5 Likes

Democracy 2.0

7 Likes

“A direct democracy is for other places — not, namely, the United States or the state of Florida,”

‘k’ #pointsforhonesty

15 Likes

‘some people’ ‘say’ that.

1 Like

When De Santis runs again, his slogan can be “If you don’t like to vote, vote for me.”

12 Likes

In America, under Republican rule, people may not surmount the vote of conservative strategists.

Guns everywhere, even if school children are gunned down… the State-mandated sexual assault of women to show “respect for life”… backdoor taxes in the form of tariffs on products used by the middle class…

Background checks, women’s health rights, strong defense, less government… these are all things the majority of Americans agree on.

But not the Republican Party. They say our solutions are wrong, even after their forty years of policy failure.

10 Likes

Well, we can’t have voters getting in the way of what the people want . . . or something like that.

13 Likes

At least political careers are still good-paying careers, huh ; - )

1 Like

And with lots of benefits . . .

1 Like

while i don’t doubt fla republicans’ motives are partisan, voter inititives are bad. the focus should be on drawing districts fairly. circumventing the republican (lower case) process only makes things worse.

1 Like

I live here and they continually pass laws against the voters interest. They have had a Supermajority for the last 15 years and ignore the will of the people. It took a ballot initiative to get Medical Marijuana and then they said …well you can’t smoke it
Two words
Matt Gaetz
Symbolic of the assholes we have to deal with

13 Likes

This, too.

9 Likes

If I hear “tyranny of the majority” one more time from some Faux News addled redneck nitwit, I may explode like the Monty Python “wafer thin” guy.

6 Likes

Ballot initiatives?!

Fuck that, it’s time for guillotines!

5 Likes

Disenfranchise voters at your own peril. Republicans showing their corruption again.

1 Like

It’s almost as if the GOP views the constitution merely as a “handbook” for governance by the privileged and rentier classes for the express aggrandizement of those classes. Any other beneficiaries are, unfortunately, the cost they pay to keep up appearances.

5 Likes

I’ve always been skeptical of referendums as a way to make law. We saw in California a number of voter initiatives that made terrible laws. But it’s not hard to see that Republicans’ current attempts to change the laws on voter initiatives are a sign of their discomfort with democracy and self-government.

6 Likes