Discussion: FL Guv: Russians Hacked Two Counties' Voter Files In '16, Didn’t Change Vote

1 Like

Really? Can I call bullshit on his assurances? Why yes, I think I can.

27 Likes

DeSantis Press Release

In fact, the GOP margin should have been much, much bigger had the hacking been successful. We have already provided the Russian’s with info on the firewalls they still need to overcome for the 2020 election.

16 Likes

“OK, so they changed a couple votes, but not enough to change the results.”

“OK, so they changed the results, but don’t go looking at any other counties, like ones in Wisconsin, because we’re totally certain it didn’t happen there.”

25 Likes

“The governor has said he only learned of the intrusion from Mueller’s report’s reference to the FBI’s efforts, rather than from the FBI itself. Per the Tampa Bay Times, he also said Tuesday that he’d agreed not to name the counties affected.

I’m not allowed to name the counties. I signed a [non-]disclosure agreement,” he said, according to the Times."

(V.O.): “NEXT TIME ON ‘FOIA’,”

19 Likes

“Two Florida counties experienced intrusion into the supervisor of election networks” in 2016, DeSantis said. “There was no manipulation or anything, but there was voter data that was able to be gotten.”
What a lame-assed piece of you-know-what

8 Likes

"DeSantis’ press conference follows Sen. Marco Rubio’s (R-FL) assertion in April that hackers were ‘in a position’ to change voter data…

But the hacks did not affect the vote count, DeSantis said."

In red states with insane “Voter ID” laws, it’s stunningly simple to “affect the vote count”.

A mismatch between “Street” and “St.” in your registration address can get you disqualified from voting.

And who knows what the GRU changed in those data – and not just in Florida.

No assurance that Russian hacks didn’t give Trump the election is worth a damn.

32 Likes

A billion dollars says both Nelson and Stacy Abrams actually won their races. And not a word about future prevention. God, they are loathsome beyond words. 2020 is going to be a nightmare - and there’s not much to do about it without some federal support.

17 Likes

As a Republican Governor, DeSantis also signed a [non-]use my head agreement.

5 Likes

"Another politician who raised alarms about Russian hacking efforts,***** former***** Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL), "
Due to hacking ?

7 Likes

It’s either going to be a FOIA request or a leak that ends this game. It won’t save anyone from embarrassment, but it’ll be funny as hell if one of the counties is Hillsborough (sp).

5 Likes

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ® confirmed Tuesday that two Florida counties “experienced intrusion” in 2016 by Russian hackers who were then able to access voter data as a result of their hacking efforts. But the hacks did not affect the vote count, DeSantis said.

Hacks by an enemy foreign power = no biggie.

A PoC voting = throw the book at them.

And don’t even ask if you’re an ex-felon.

12 Likes

Why the extreme secrecy? Voters have a right to know exactly what happened in that election. Transparency is of utmost importance, and please, no bullshit four page summary.

8 Likes

“Two Florida counties experienced intrusion into the supervisor of election networks” in 2016, DeSantis said. “There was no manipulation or anything, but there was voter data that was able to be gotten.”

There is no way way to say this with certainty.

12 Likes

I am assuming they are Miami Dade County and Broward County. Just a hunch.

6 Likes

Riots

2 Likes

what about 2018? The margins for gov and sen were mighty thin…

6 Likes

And like I told @pshah, Talahassee (and the feds) are prolly scared of possible riots (and definate lawsuits).

4 Likes

Andrew Gillum and Hillary Clinton also.

2 Likes

Posted by an attorney friend: So, this is total bullshit. FL Statutes Chap. 119 says any documents that were shown to the governor or any memos related to information he learned are public records and should be disclosed upon request unless they are subject to a specific exemption in Florida law. Means and methods of investigation might be exempt (although that might be moot too because he already disclosed that the system was intruded by a phishing email) but certainly, the identity of the affected counties should not be exempt.

9 Likes