Discussion: Female Lawmakers: MT Legislature's New Dress Code Is 'Discriminatory'

Discussion for article #230963

Ok here’s my suggestion to people who want to be part of public life in this country:

If you cannot act like an adult

If you cannot treat other people like they’re adults too

If you are a childish small-minded trivia-obsessed non-serious-problem-addressing twit

THEN GO THE FUCK HOME TO YOUR PARENTS’ HOUSE AND LIVE IN THE BASEMENT THERE FUCK

13 Likes

I see Women wearing burqas in the TeaOcrcy

Fabric by HobbyLobby.

22 Likes

I think all City, State and Federal officials should wear Ebola suits at all times and speak through voice synthesizers or else the terrorists have won…

13 Likes

What about the tube socks stuffed in their male counterparts drawers? That still allowed?

4 Likes

Honestly, I thought it was going to hit the men stronger because we’re eliminating jeans on Saturdays.

LOL, only if he added because some of the jeans the men were wearing were too revealing!

Sister Mary Holywater is the new Sgt at Arms.

6 Likes

The new code, in addition to calling for women to wear suit pants, dresses or skirts, tells women to be “sensitive to skirt lengths and necklines,”

Just want to know what past attire choices made all of this seem to be necessary
… were female lawmakers wearing halter tops & Daisy Dukes?

8 Likes

I didn’t really see it as affecting women as much."

She’s struck on the new GOP mantra

1 Like

Is this the next step for Montana’s female lawmakers?

http://visaonacional.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/burka.jpg

16 Likes

"The new code, in addition to calling for women to wear suit pants, dresses or skirts, tells women to be “sensitive to skirt lengths and necklines,”

Yeah! Otherwise, “NOW LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!”

13 Likes

No way man…that blue is sooooo last Ramadan.

5 Likes

What about ass-less chaps? Those are still cool right??

8 Likes

It’s Montana – they’re mandatory!

5 Likes

What goes on under the burka stays under the burka?

2 Likes

OK - going to the link -

“For female lawmakers, reporters, staff and pages, that also means no leggings or open-toed sandals. It also means the end of casual Saturdays for everyone.”

have a slight sense of what may have been going on - so, to bend over backwards to be fair about this - possibly ‘casual’ got maybe a bit too ‘casual’ for some tastes … the issue was probably not the ‘lawmakers’ but more likely various staff - and probably a function of variation in taste, judgment and interpretation of what is appropriate … and maybe the general state of appearance had drifted

• but good heavens! this could have been addressed in a much, much better way - it sounds condescending & clearly was not done in a collaborative manner.

Are the women supposed to also sit in a corner and wait until spoken to as well? Are they supposed to let the men folk call them sweety, honey, darlin too so the men won’t have to be bothered learning their names? Are the women supposed to walk into chambers behind the men? Do they have to ask for permission to speak? Just wondering.

6 Likes

Dress code?
DRESS CODE??!!??
WTF???
Is this the “smaller government” the GOP harps about all the time?
Gloryosky!
The Montana Old Men’s Society in that state legislature need to get their collective heads out of the gutter.
As MattinPA said

And I agree.

6 Likes

The main duty for female legislators in Montana apparently is to make coffee for the “serious” men in that outfit.
DOUBLE FACEPALM

4 Likes

“It’s important to respect the institution, and that’s why we have some
guidelines,” she told KXLH. “Honestly, I thought it was going to hit the
men stronger because we’re eliminating jeans on Saturdays. I didn’t
really see it as affecting women as much.”

OK, just what have these guys got against jeans I’d like to ask?! I mean it’s not like Billings is New York City.

3 Likes

I find the requirement for men to wear neckties to be the most ludicrous accoutrement ever foisted on the gender. Where in gods name did the silly fashion come from? Was it derived from “lawyers bringing their own rope to the hanging” or some sort of phallic symbol sprouting from the neck region? In the future fashion historians will look back on neckties as the silliest piece of unquestioned habit ever designed and adapted by humans. And yet it is considered a universal “show of respect for the office”. Shows lack of respect for individual choice and the willingness of the masses to blindly go along with whatever the fashion mavens decree if you ask me.

1 Like