Discussion: Federal Judge Says Barr Stirring Concern About Mueller Report Redactions

I believe the term we’re looking for is “complete and utter lack of faith” that Barr will only redact what is absolutely necessary. I feel before this is over, we’re going to have to have a judge go through the full report line-by-line to unredact what Barr redacted inappropriately.

4 Likes

You live in a very strange place. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yup, America, 2019…:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What gets me is the in your face process. As we are learning more about Barr, the more amazing it is that so many put some faith in him. At this point, it went south. I had a sort of okay, lets see how this plays through. But as things have gone on, it is totally cynical. Rachel right now is explaining Barr should never have been given any lee way.

6 Likes

Ya know, that is a good point. I cannot claim this place is just the usual anymore. It is a land where “Hold my beer!” is quickly becoming the national motto.

2 Likes

No, they did not.

3 Likes

There will be more wrangling but in the end the full report will come out. Republicans will take the hit, Trump will go down in infamy and Barr has been added to the list of destroyed reputations whose name will invoke disgust.

5 Likes

There’s also all the sketchy Russian connections which are pretty sketchy

THREAD: Barr's Conflicts:
Outstanding by @CrisLeeMaza on Bill Barr's financial ties to Russia-related entities:
1. Howard Lorber's Vector Group (@DonaldJTrumpJr allegedly called Lorber about Trump Tower meeting)
2. AlfaBank
3. Ochs-Ziff
4. DeutscheBank. https://t.co/sVFirhb2SB

— Jed Shugerman (@jedshug) April 16, 2019
5 Likes

So its the Article I branch and the Article III branch vs. the Unitary Executive and his merry band of idiot henchmen. We’re gonna need two forty pound bags of popcorn seed and a lot of coconut oil before these escapade is done.

Bring it on, I’ll celebrate with Mr. Jack Daniels for three days if they can move that jackass from the White House to the Big House over all of this.

1 Like

I want every Dem who voted to confirm Barr and who went on TV to say what a grand fellow he is to be named, shamed and hung by their ankles in public.

4 Likes

"THAT’S ’s something we will have to work through ". I’ll have to think about it,” Walton said, per Politico.

I’m sorry how much thinking is left to be done in a monumental case like this…can’t you do the right thing and have people see the documentation that was 2 years in the making?

4 Likes

This federal judge must act on his own intuition! I sincerely hope he’s not toying around with his concerns.

1 Like

Igor Putin, you say?

Last month’s Guardian Global Laundromat investigation mentioned this.

Investigators are still trying to identify some of the wealthy and politically influential Russians behind the operation, known as “the Global Laundromat”.

They estimate a group of about 500 people were involved. These include oligarchs, Moscow bankers, and figures working for or connected to the FSB, the successor spy agency to the KGB.

Igor Putin, the cousin of Russia’s president, Vladimir, sat on the board of a Moscow bank which held accounts involved in the fraud.

Today, they’re back with this. Amazing cast of characters.

2 Likes

Maddow had a great segment on the Ryan Goodman piece in Just Security detailing Barr’s intentional deception when he hid a legal memo which essentially gave the US gov’t a permission slip to seize foreign targets without violating international law.

Barr lied and stonewalled before Congress much like he has during his confirmation hearing and recent appearances on the Hill. He used the same language to describe his memo ‘summary of principal conclusions’. He likes that turn of phrase. It’s a bit like mental masturbation for him. He successfully stonewalled on the matter until the Clinton Administration came in. Congress, however, was very delayed in issuing subpoenas.

Goodman believes this proves that Barr won’t care about lying at will now on the expectation that stuff won’t be found out until a new administration is in power and he is long gone.

The big differences between then and now are: 1. social media to keep the matter alive in the public consciousness, 2. crowd sourcing of the legal community’s views on cable tv/twitter, 3. Mueller/OSC attorneys beginning to leak, 4. the mercurial Rosenstein, who might make a move to preserve himself and throw Barr under the bus, 5. subpoenas from Nadler ready to fly, 6. open skepticism of Barr expressed by the judiciary, 7. the lack of public support for Trump’s spin, 8. the quick erosion of Barr’s credibility and therefore value to Trump.

If I were to add another point, there is an apparent desire among Congressional GOPers to get it all out there, either because they don’t want to spend too much political capital covering for Trump, or because they feel they can pick and choose pieces of information to mount a defense for Trump so that the matter dips out of the public discussion sooner before the 2020 election cycle kicks into high gear. They are also betting that the Dems won’t want to go all in on impeachment so if it’s out there, it’s easier to deal with than if Trump keeps covering things up. The Dems are getting all of Trump’s financial stuff anyway through subpoena and are likely to get the Mueller Report as well. If you’re a GOPer, would you rather have that stuff come out now, or in January as the Dems enter their primary cycle and can amplify what a crook Trump is? Seems logical for the GOP to want to get it out there now if they believe it’s coming out eventually.

[Note: In a normal world, I’d say that the GOPers would want to get it out there now so that they could determine whether to jump ship on Trump and reserve enough time to regroup for 2020, but let’s not kid ourselves].

5 Likes

Maddow did an extensive piece on this last night…Barr has done this before and completely changed the outcome of a major case.

3 Likes

What’s the chance that the DOJ could refuse the judge’s request?

When those are people who can be charged with a crime. If the only reason they’re not being charged is that DoJ policy claims they can’t be, then that changes the math.

Understood.

That’s important for those of us clinging to the rule of law - although Trump hates the Bushes now too.
Trump’s the low-rent version of a distorted Shakespeare quote: ‘will no one rid me of these odious judges? His version: ignore ‘em unless they give me what I want.

1 Like

Pretty good I imagine. I figure DOJ would defy and be in contempt of any court order to produce the unredacted version, until it gets to the Supremes. If they uphold or affirm the judge’s request, it would be a nice surprise. Though what’s to stop DOJ or Trump from defying them too? They don’t have an army, after all.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available