Discussion: FEC Allows Dem House Candidate To Use Her Campaign Funds For Childcare

1 Like

This is great. So why don’t we enact a government program to aid all working families with children everywhere? I’m sure they face the same challenges as political candidates do.

18 Likes

Seemed kind of stupid (what, that’s a personal expense!) until it made complete obvious sense.

I’ve got a bad, but hopefully not incurable, case of man-brain.

12 Likes

Way cool, this.

10 Likes

“The Federal Election Commission decided unanimously on Thursday to allow a Democratic congressional candidate from New York to spend campaign funds on childcare.”

“In reaction, House Republicans immediately introduced the ‘Anti-Jezebel Act of 2018’ to reverse the decision.”

15 Likes

The Federal Election Commission decided unanimously on Thursday to allow a Democratic congressional candidate from New York to spend campaign funds on childcare.

Republicans responded by immediately passing a bill to allow use of campaign funds for hookers and blow.

10 Likes

No reason a Democrat shouldn’t use funds like these.

6 Likes

I wonder which two men had already done it.

1 Like

If she wins how long until the R-led ethics investigation into just why those kids got a whole happy meal and not just the burger?

2 Likes

Seems totally reasonable to me.

2 Likes

Jim McCrery (LA) in 1995 and Todd Goldup (NY) in 2008.

Why do you ask?

Jesu hopping Christie! The grift is strong in this one. Is Pence’s son also a member of Opus Del?

I always marvel at the complete stupidity of the RNC.

Ps: This is a brilliant move on the part of the FEC!

1 Like

This is a great young candidate–Long Island woman going head to head with the odious and intimidating Peter King, whose platform is basically about racism, ICE thuggery, etd. Very good sign that she had the wit to take this matter to the FEC–and that she won. It really is a significant progressive victory. I can’t wait for this new generation of very pissed off, very smart woman Dems to get stuck into the GOP.

1 Like

I was wondering because party affiliation. I see in these cases, democrat and independent. And not really clear either of them needed it.

Correct.

Oops, mistyped. McCrery was a republican (although some of the dynastic relationships made that more complicated than it first looks.) And there’s an article from the 2008 cycle on Goldup – the article itself is about the period when republicans were blocking a quorum on the FEC – that says he initially received an opinion that he could not use campaign money for childcare, but it wasn’t binding because not enough commissioners. (Other searching on Goldup suggests that this might have been symbolic at best – he also reportedly proposed to pay himself at congressional salary levels during the campaign, but his reports of campaign contributions for that cycle don’t appear to support that level of spending)