Discussion: Fast-Moving Northern California Wildfire Quadruples In Size

1 Like

Hazy skies and the smell of smoke surrounding us even at 200 miles away.

6 Likes

My son lives and works in downtown sacramento and said the same thing. He is having some sinus issues. My best wishes to the families going through this difficult time.

2 Likes

Before I even looked at the news to see the status of the various fires, I knew they were raging because smoke is all I can smell and the haze is very thick.

2 Likes

I lived in Chico for several years, and still have friends there. Paradise is only a few miles away. I can only imagine what the air looks like in Chico when it’s nasty in Sacramento.

Paradise is (was?) in the foothills, surrounded by forest. Chico is at the edge of the Valley surrounded by fields and grassland, so probably in less danger. Still, parts of Chico (on the east side, facing the foothills) had to evacuate.

The fire seems to have come from nowhere, very fast.

3 Likes

Horrible an entire town is gone in a couple of hours. Seems like the fire fighters are making a stand to save Chico but jeebus this is awful. Two major fires in CA along with the horrific mass shooting…just heart breaking.

3 Likes

Wow. Those are some scary scenes.

Two days ago, the town’s newspaper was reporting election results (school bonds and an extension of a temporary sales tax both won about 60-40, for example). Now…

People will still want to live there, and I expect that a strong majority will rebuild if they have the funds, but I wonder how long it will take before it feels like their town again. Maybe never, for some.

6 Likes

It’s sad that they have a climate change-denying, anti government-spending Representative to CONgress, because they are going to need a lot of handouts from Big Government…

1 Like

45-mph winds, no humidity, and fire. Nothing anyone could do.

And these kinds of conditions are expected to spread to much of the west in coming decades.

6 Likes

Soon to be Governor Newsom, Feinstein and Harris are weighing in while moron says “God Bless!” in tweets.

2 Likes

“desperate exodus in which many motorists got struck in gridlocked traffic and abandoned their cars to flee foot.”

Some proofreading is needed here!

Sad story, nonetheless.

In addition to expanding geographically, I believe fire prone conditions are also expected to occur over a longer portion of the year.

Didn’t the fire season used to end by late September?

1 Like

It’s far too dangerous for ground crews to try and head off these fire storms that jump right over six lane freeways. Their work to help evacuate is much more productive at this point. Some times the priority of lives and buildings means they have to let the forest lands go. When the burning index is extreme like this, the fire does what it wants to, regardless of control efforts. I have watched Los Alamos, NM burn twice now, in spite of all their national laboratory protective assets. When they reverse 911 called residents to bug out they had a 20 mile long traffic jam.

2 Likes

I’m in the SF East Bay (Walnut Creek). I left for work yesterday and weather was cool but not windy. By noon, winds had picked up and smoke started blowing in. It was very hazy by the time I left. We can smell smoke inside the office too. So sad for those who lost their homes. Seems like we used to get one big fire every couple of years whereas how they are catastrophic and happen every year all over the state. :frowning:

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

Which means, ultimately, that areas like this are not going to be suitable for year-round human habitation. Unless we can build fully-sealed bunkers under the towns with several months of air and water.

2 Likes

I’m being briefed on the terrible situation in… where? … California? … they’re Democrats… why should I care… the terrible situation in California, a state I carried in 2016 by the way, thoughts and prayers and imgoinggolfingrightaway…

I have relatives in Chico. Fortunately they have resources, but such devastation.

1 Like