Discussion: Facing Student-Led, Anti-NRA 'Die-In,' Publix Suspends Political Donations

1 Like

Awesome…

Anyone else note that United Airlines got rid of the NRA discount as well?

26 Likes

These kids deserve our praise and gratitude. They sure have mine. I can’t wait to see some of them run for office.

57 Likes

At last, we have found the NRA’s achilles heel: stepping around gun protesters playing dead in the vegetable aisle.

39 Likes

I had such great hopes for my generation. We protested against the war, for civil rights and for women’s equality and then, I don’t know what happened. How did so many in my generation vote for a racist, misogynistic president?

But hope springs eternal and all that. I am rooting for these kids. I marched with them, and I want them to succeed where my generation failed.

34 Likes

Call the Whaaabulance. Only “agittators” when you disagree. Bet these fuckers never said that about the Tea Party.

26 Likes

NRA = GOP. When US guns deaths per capita today are 20 times higher than in Australia, which did something after a mass shooting, it is pretty clear the issue is structural.

21 Likes

These kids are awesome.

22 Likes

You just know the lady in the photo is asking where the gluten-free cheese is.

17 Likes

I’ll always stand up for #2A!

“Um…until I don’t.”

6 Likes

A pleasure? C’mon. DeSantis hasn’t been grocery shopping since college.

5 Likes

The passion of kids is often the lever that brings about change. Remember the days before curb cuts? Before ADA? I was recently reminded of the kids who made that happen

The changes that Ed Roberts (polio survivor relegated to a wheelchair) and his fellow students brought about are endangered today because we have a sociopath in office who appoints other sociopaths as the heads of agencies that are supposed to looking out for the disabled.

20 Likes

My brother–who for some reason is an NRA member–bitches about it constantly. And the last time he was on a jet was…like…NEVER.

9 Likes

I think it would have been visually more effective if they were laying down in the meat section.

10 Likes

Well, they WE’RE headed in that direction, but the store was cleaning up the blood on the floor after someone was shot there.

4 Likes

Keep going, kids. You are doing it amazingly right.

19 Likes

Putnam, in his current role as commissioner of agriculture, oversees health inspections of the grocery chain in Florida…

Interesting. So the major grocery store chain gives money directly to the guy who oversees their health inspections and to business groups who also give him money. Is this like Qatar gives money to Kushner so Trump will play nice, or foreign delegations staying at Trump Tower so Trump will grace them with his favor vs anti-favor for not staying there? If re-elected, will Putnam punish Publix for no longer donating?

27 Likes

Wonderful!

I wish that these tactics worked as well with certain media conglomerates.

8 Likes

It’s even better than the owner of the New York Jets, who said he’d pay the fines of any kneeling players during the national anthem. Rep. Peter King of the New York third nearly chewed off his own tongue in helpless fury.

This wasn’t cause it was the right thing to do. They will do ANYTHING to make people forget the Butt Fumble.

8 Likes

The Tampa Bay Times reported earlier this month that Publix — together with the individual donations of its founder’s heirs and those of the company’s current and former leadership — had “given more money to Adam Putnam’s gubernatorial bid than any other candidate since at least 1995 and likely for the entirety of the company’s history.”

It was actually over $670,000. How in Holy Hell can that happen? I know, I know…

10 Likes