Discussion: Face It, Live Music Kinda Sucks

Discussion for article #233086

#Slatepitch.

Next up: Face It, Food Kinda Sucks.

18 Likes

“But a big chunk of the time, we were unprepared, unprofessional and generally not trying”.

As a musician for the last 30 years, I say YOU are the problem then, aren’t you?

What a load of crap, TPM. Why don’t you concentrate on linking stories about politics and stay out of areas of which your staff know little to nothing.

29 Likes

You’re not going to the right shows.

25 Likes

There is no target audience for Dude In Hat Spilling An Entire Beer On You, and yet that’s what we built this entire discipline of art upon.

Ouch. I think I’ve been Sliced up enough.

7 Likes

A rebuttal

Most people I know don’t really listen to music as much as they listen to songs. Songs generally contain literal ideas that give the person something conceptual to grasp. So, for example, when Bob Marley is telling me “every little thing is gonna be alright,” there are many people who connect with that idea. Perhaps their youthful energy is also incapable of “get[ting] no satisfaction,” or they simply agree with a man who can neither sing nor play a guitar with even base proficiency that the times are in fact “a-changing.”

These are songs. The music is there to help provide a background for the words of the singer, which are where the meaning is. But more and more of what gets radio play doesn’t even contain real instruments, just a bunch of beats and samples programmed into a computer with auto-tuned vocals laid on top.

Of course, there are great musicians who can play live.

These are people whose goal is not to become stars or pop sensations.

They aren’t paid like the beautiful people at the Grammys whose performance was fixed in post, and whose songs and choreography were prepared for them.

They dedicate themselves to the craft of musicianship, playing songs that are often wordless and abstract, leaving to the audience the responsibility to construct meaning.

They practice alone in rooms for hours on end for years on end, perfecting their craft.

Every musician I’ve posted is alive and touring.

So if you go out and see live musicians who sound terrible, maybe that’s not because live music sucks. Maybe it’s because we live in a culture that deifies “musicians” that can’t write or play music. And you bought the tickets. Of course, those people are performers and there’s nothing wrong with a spectacle, if that’s what you’re in for.

But if you happen to notice on an outing that your favorite musicians can’t in fact play music proficiently, perhaps the fault lies not in our stars, dear Brutus.

13 Likes

What a terrible waste of my time. The ‘writer’ (author seems too professional a term for this twerp) comes off as a whinny, self-involved idiot.

Jeeze- your emo groups bore you to tears. Shucks. But in your case, I agree. Your taste in music really sucks. Live or recorded ain’t gonna matter.

When will your unpaid internship at TPM end?

17 Likes

Sounds like someone is bitter about the years she wasted trying to make a career out of a hobby and failing. I know! I’ve been there. It will pass.

Is there some sort of competition to see who can top White People Camping Are Silly Elitists for Most Ridiculous Article Ever Published By TPM?

5 Likes

Maybe you should try some different live shows. I saw Phish this summer a few times and they were amazing.

4 Likes

I had to check to be sure I was on TPM and not Slate. I stopped reading about halfway through, so maybe the second half of this piece salvages the first half. Otherwise, it’s a waste of time, mostly because its proposition is ridiculous.
I could recount dozens of stories from wonderful live shows, but one moment always pushes itself forward:
When the Clash played at Bond’s in Times Square, they were the most important band in the world, and the best. I got there early and squeezed up as close as I could get. They came out onto a stage bathed in a sort of pea-green light. They plugged in and burst into “London Calling.”
Now, usually the fans rush forward, but the sheer awesomeness of these guys and this music created a force that actually pushed the crowd back about two feet. I mean it–it was like a physical force field. It was just stunning. The collective thought was “Holy $#!#!” I’ve never experienced anything else like it.
If live music kinda sucks for you, you’re just not going to the right shows.

12 Likes

One time I watched him pause between every song to yell “WHITE POWER!” which is not a terribly subversive statement in central Missouri; another time, I watched him surprise-bodyslam a female audience member. These times and others, I’m very ashamed to admit, my only thought was: “This guy will do anything to give a great show!”

My only thought would have been: “Where’s the fucking exit?” Yet, somehow, this guy kept going back for more.

8 Likes

“So I know what I’m talking about when I say: Live music is not a “fun evening” in any sense of the phrase.”

Given that this article is nearly 180Âș at odds with my own experience, I’m left to conclude that the author either must have pretty shitty taste in artists and/or that the author is extrapolating way beyond what is justified based on a handful of anecdotes.

Let’s Face It, The Slice Kinda Sucks.

19 Likes

art is about the relationship between work and audience. Live music endangers that relationship by introducing unstable factors: artists, and an audience that isn’t just you.

That’s exactly what makes it interesting and fun. It appears that the author would like a world where everything is pre-determined and controlled solely by the individual. Boring, boring, boring.

4 Likes

The arena concerts the author seems to exclusively go to are indeed a waste of time.

However, there’s a whole world of live music in smaller venues that are entertaining on their musical merits if you are really in it for the music, which i don’t think the author is.

7 Likes

You kids get off my lawn!!

I enjoy live music intensely and agree with some of your complaints. That’s why I mostly do festivals of primarily modern folk and Americana music. Nice audience, better beer, and I can still hear the next day.

6 Likes

Besides folk festivals, where the music is art, and they play for love, small bars/pubs occasionally book a great group, provided they keep the volume below 11.

4 Likes

No kidding. It sounds like the author needs to spend some quality time in New Orleans. But, that’s good music. The author probably wouldn’t appreciate it.

4 Likes

What makes live music fun is an artist/group who are still having fun. I saw Ray Charles play at the university I went to in the early 90s. He came out, played his five greatest hits exactly like they sounded on the record, the left. I paid $30 for a 25 minute show that sounded like a recording. The next weekend they had The Romantics. Their recordings were sort of pop/rock, but they were really a four piece rock band from (I think) Detroit. They played their songs like they were blasting them out of the garage.

So if you’re young, and thinking you might hate live music after this, I would give you a few tips. Don’t go see a very popular act, unless you know they put on a good show. Go to a club, bar, or smaller venue. You’ll be disappointed less often. Also, put the fucking cell phones down. You may or may not enjoy the show. You won’t enjoy the shitty cell phone recording of the show after.

6 Likes

No, the second half gets worse, where she admits she didn’t give a crap about quality when she performed, and produced racist body-slamming performers. And its mostly head-banging “music”, so no surprise the live music sucked. You chose wisely to bail.

7 Likes

I believe marching bands were namechecked as actual good music. I’m sure Channing has gone to a second line!

2 Likes