Discussion: 'Extremely Past Due': Trump Campaign Still Owes $470K To El Paso For Rally

I agree. But Ted Cruz was loathsome and when people looked for an alternative, he was busting out of the gates. Now there’s 23+ candidates and it’s a much different situation.

Same with Bernie in 2016. I liked Hillary, but 40 years of pounding by conservatives and the media turned her into a bete noire. When people looked at the alternatives, Bernie had some interesting things to say. But they didn’t look closely to how he said it or that he’s far more of a crusader and a flamethrower than a coalition builder. Now he’s middle of the pack and 20 points behind Joe Biden. There’s 23+ voices and his doesn’t sound so compelling now.

4 Likes

I totally agree with all of your comment.

I’m just not at this point willing to throw Beto out of the race altogether.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s disappointing. But that’s a common way to find out what people really think. They give you the answer they think you want to hear about what they would do. Then you go “How do you think your neighbors would vote?” and they’ll give you their real answers. Here’s an example:

Would you vote for True?
No. He’s too much of a pig.

Do you think your neighbors would vote for Trump?
Probably because Trump tells it like it is.

3 Likes

I think Beto’s mistakes are those of somebody who’s still very new to politics, particularly at the national level. Texans who follow him surely have a more informed opinion than I do, but from a distance (up in Michigan) it seems as though he’s still figuring out who he his politically and as a campaigner. Trying to do that in the midst of a Presidential campaign is not ideal.

I don’t think Buttigieg has a much greater chance of getting the nom than Beto does, but so far he seems more sure of himself than O’Rourke has. That’s not surprising to me, since his experience in the military and as a two-term mayor has seasoned him a bit.

Having said all this: if lightning struck and O’Rourke managed to capture the nomination, I’d be enthusiastically supporting him because he seems like a good guy and the alternative is literally unthinkable.

3 Likes

In my time as a trial lawyer I did a lot of focus groups and did a lot of work on what people thing as opposed to what they say. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. This reminds me of an important point: the report(or someone’s analysis of it) did say that these answers reflected the respondents’ own misogyny. That said, I think there’re still some people who are just so discouraged by the misogyny they saw and don’t wanna take a risk.

3 Likes

Do I have to point out to you that the president we’ve got never even held office and knows way less than Beto about government, the constitution, history and everything else?

This is what I mean by relying on the norms that used to pertain.

1 Like

What’s trump’s credit score?
His checking account is with Capital One. So what’s in his wallet?

1 Like

Right now Biden is at 32%, Bernie is at 18% and the next tier are in the mid to high single digits. I think if either one gets pulled into the same numbers as the rest of the top tier, they’ll sink. If Uncle Joe has 4 times the polling as Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Mayor Pete or Beto it seems like a done deal and while Joe’s not perfect, he would be a good president.

If all those people are within a few points of each other, people are going to want to listen to all the alternative and Joe won’t be so compelling. His saving grace might be having South Carolina as a backstop. He’s wildly popular with Black Democrats in SC.

1 Like

I’m surprised pre-pay isn’t the default payment method for everyone selling goods or services to Trump or his campaign.

3 Likes

Arrest Brad Parscale

2 Likes

Unfortunately, BETO flew too close to the sun.

I wish he had challenged Cornyn, but even so, his ‘man of the people’ CRED got wiped out when it became clear he and his spouse have a small fortune. Having it is not the problem, but it coming as a ‘revelation’ has hurt him. Plus, his campaign machinery is not robust enough for a national campaign.

Targeting Cornyn would have made sense and put Texas in play. Get the R’s to spend a shitload of money, even though BETO might get beat again.

1 Like

Yes indeed, the old Icarus candidate conundrum.

Y’all can count Beto out now if you want. I’m not.

I’ve seen Biden run before.

And god help us if he’s the nominee. It will be repeat of 2004 when we went with another “safe” candidate. People may say that’s what they want right now but it isn’t or Trump wouldn’t be president.

5 Likes

If I were contracting with the Trump Org, it would be cash-on-the-nail into a trust account that I can draw on verification of deliverables.

2 Likes

I tend to agree but I understand why he isn’t. Cornyn would be harder to pick off and losing 2 Senate races in a row doesn’t look good, particularly if you’re (and this is my belief), aiming to run for Governor in a couple years. A failed Presidential run doesn’t hurt his chances at a local race, but it does raise his national profile and give him a chance to extend his “brand” in the future or for a VP nod.

2 Likes

Yeah I think so too. I really did not want him to just disappear.

1 Like

Once again, it is demonstrated that Trump is bad for business.

1 Like

Agree wholeheartedly! If the Gov race is in his future, i can understand why he’s not jumping into the Senate race again, but DAMN! I wish he would!

And given the strength of the GOP machine there in Texas, have Texas Dems thought about a campaign theme across all races of Rage Against the Machine? Get that group down there is play a gig at every event. I just watched their video “Testify,” and i like! Even after a few years, still timely shit!

1 Like

Let’s see … pay El Paso for services provided by the city’s police, fire, health, aviation, maintenance, and bus departments? Or pay the Trump Organization for the extra rental charges for empty space at Trump Tower.

Decisions, decisions.

ETA: I bet there’s not one overdue bill for rent at Trump Tower. Hell, they probably pay each rent, services, materials, and share of utilities bill twice.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available