Discussion: Ex-NY Review Of Books Editor: 'I Have Now Myself Been Convicted On Twitter'

Did Twitter lock the door and turn up the music, too?

17 Likes
8 Likes

Don’t cry, Ian. I’m sure Roy Moore and Dinesh D’Souza still love you.

8 Likes

It’s a great cartoon. (screen shot-copy-paste)

20 Likes

I think what sunk him were his moronic comments AFTER he published the essay, not publishing it.

11 Likes

People are damaged and “convicted” daily by the Twitter-Thumbed Resident of the White House. It seems to be SOP these days. I’m a little surprised Buruma didn’t anticipate this.

What did you expect, you moron?
Oh, and don’t forget to go on your Instagram account and post pics of your stigmata.

9 Likes

Definitely. The essay itself had some insights and I personally found it valuable to read, for what it said and what it didn’t say. But Buruma’s attitude was so dismissive that it really made you wonder what he could possibly have been thinking in not providing any context.

7 Likes

I agree. Almost anything can be written off as a lapse in judgement or an editorial error. Even if it isn’t.

But in that interview he doubled down so many times, it was the NY Review version of the Bad Lieutenant.

And here he goes again, digging yet deeper, casting blame around in every direction. Jeez, get a clue.

I have to wonder if he’s beginning to show early signs of dementia. Seriously. The guy used to have a functioning brain.

8 Likes

Lordy, I hope there are no mushroom heads.

5 Likes

One thing is for certain - men losing their male privilege are going to be the whiniest people on the planet for awhile.

26 Likes

Poor besieged white man. I wonder if he has had to move and gets death and rape hreats by the dozens.

10 Likes

Sexism at New York Times has become too pervasive. Need to look at bigger problem. Maybe the editor?

Baruma may have had some flaws as an editor, but he is a brilliant essayist and thinker. You, on the other hand, are someone who thinks that all he has to do to win an argument is to call the person he is criticizing a moron or lump him with a bunch of far-right persons with whom he has nothing in common. Illuminating you are not.

7 Likes

For what it’s worth, his name is Buruma.

And I completely agree with you on his brilliance as an essayist.

3 Likes

That was really cruel.

I wish I’d thought of it.

10 Likes

Well, if making “moronic comments” could sink people …

4 Likes

He’s also a walking, talking example of white male privilege in action.

Be careful taking Dommyluc to task like that.
He’s a very funny. very smart man—you clearly lack the intellectual wherewithal to get what he says.
He’s not trying to win an argument.
He’s just being who he is—and most of us here love him dearly.

8 Likes

Possibly, but this is the New York Review, not the Times. Different publishers.

2 Likes