Discussion: Education Dept. Probes 8 Universities In Light Of College Bribery Scheme

“Please provide the institution’s internal control policies and procedures pertaining to any audits or compliance reviews on the admission of students recruited for athletic teams at the institution since January 1, 2009,”

Stanford gets an anal probe. That’s gonna leave a mark. 7 other schools too.

2 Likes

This administration hates colleges anyway, as bastions of liberalism. This gives them an opportunity to pretend that they are standing up for the little guy, while attacking an old enemy at the same time.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, those documents are under audit and can’t be revealed yet. Then the documents must be reviewed for privilege.

3 Likes

Who gives a fuck, really.

Dr. Dre gave $70 Million to USC. A few years later, his daughter is accepted by USC.

Totally legal.

So unless we’re going to get rid of all of this shit, I really don’t care about how the bribe is going through. All that it means is that they didn’t have enough money to pay the legal bribe to the University.

2 Likes

That is exactly what this is about. DeVos coming from her scam for-profit education world wants to stick it to the universities.

6 Likes

I agree that the college admission system - heck thecollege system overall - needs to change.

But falsifying & forging documents, test results, etc, is a higher level of cheating. It should not be excused.

ETA:

And DeVos should be in jail, too!

6 Likes

How is that a higher level of cheating than paying a legal bribe to the college? Or having professional tutors to help curate your work and encourage the student to make edits?

Either one places the student ahead of another who may have scored higher.

Should ignore fraud because ‘everybody does it’? I don’t see how that gets us anywhere.

3 Likes

Calvin College isn’t sending their best.

4 Likes

As I said earlier today when I read this item: F-You very much Betsy DeVos.

3 Likes

Not saying ignore. Use it as a tool to tackle the whole problem, not just paint a few folks as big villians, when the real cheats get off by having their same behavior be totally legal.

Make trading any financial thing with the school in exchange for your kid’s acceptance illegal.

1 Like

“Dr. Dre gave $70 Million to USC”

Seriously?

That is one expensive college degree.

3 Likes

Yeah, he and some other dude contributed for some new school or something… it popped up in the news because he decided to brag that his girl got into college all on her own… then people started reminding him of the massive donation from a few years back…

4 Likes

Republicans are sooooo stupid. They honestly imagine this scandal helps them because two of the perps were actors, which means this is proof that liberals are elitists laughing at regular Americans.

The problem is that a key tenet of conservatives is that America truly is the Land of Opportunity and every generation earned what they got. Now they’re forced to admit that some colleges give better opportunities than others and rich people use them to maintain the status quo. And the solution is to switch to the pure merit-based system conservatives have been pretending we already have, with no favoritism for money or status.

And that gets us into the heart of the problem: Conservatives hate capitalism. They think people should be paid based on the importance of their job and how hard they work, not how rich they are. It started with them being convinced that actors and athletes are overpaid. But now that they’re complaining about rich people getting all the perks, it’s just a matter of time until they’re next. Just another issue Republicans would ignore if they understood the game.

2009? Is that the start date of the actual criminal investigations or just Devos’ fishing expedition into the Obama administration’s policies? Also, I wonder if Devos herself will be investigated because I find it difficult to believe anyone in her family made it in and through college without her family’s financial “assistance”.

4 Likes

I think it’s great that he made such a gift to a university - although there are colleges and universities in California that need that kind of assistance much more than a private school like USC - the CA Community College and State Universities, for example. These are the institutions that are providing affordable education for people of limited economic means - people for whom a college education can completely change the course of their lives. I’ve seen it.

5 Likes

They are going to embarrass a lot of friends kids while they are doing it. Not that the Trumps and Kushners went to college on academic merits.

2 Likes

This should be a real fucking doozy with white entitled poster child DeVoss in charge!

How about the ‘Z list’ admissions at Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, Penn, Columbia, and especially Princeton!

At Harvard 30% to 34% admitted students are legacy and about 7% are very weak legacy under the secret Z List (applicants from Alums who have made a lot of money).

The Ivy League should not keep its tax free status - period! Less than 6% blacks are admitted when they comprise close to 18% of our population!

Very highly qualified blacks and Hispanics are denied admissions at Ivy League Schools…mostly denied spots taken by legacy and Z list admitted white’s!

The rich give tax deductible donations to the Ivies and then their kids are given special treatment to being admitted. All subsidized by blacks, Hispanics, and the middle class…we are covering the rich white class giving to themselves!

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the gift. There’s just no substantive difference between that and the folks that bribed through other means.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available