Discussion: Dying Ex-GOP Sen. Spent His Last Days Apologizing To Muslims For Trump

The Freedom Caucus will have to introduce a motion stripping Bennett’s family of their survivor benefits and anything else the government passes on to deceased members of Congress.

9 Likes

While I appreciate his statements, too often those in the halls of power only realize the errors of their ways on their deathbed. Power, religion, and money all corrupt, but none of that matters when your time left to be alive is suddenly counted in days not years. It’s a harsh truth, and we’ve seen it play out again and again throughout history.

16 Likes

I hope that Sen. Bennett finds peace in the hereafter. However, the GOP is in part the product of his actions. Sen. Bennett was swept from office by Mike Lee, because he was not conservative enough, but the fact is that he was part of the obstructionist actions of the GOP from the time Obama was elected and he took part in the hateful rhetoric spews of the GOP and Mitch McConnell until 2012. He should be apologizing. Not only did he help set up the rise of Trump but he was part and parcel of the reason the Tea Party got its hold on the GOP. He will not be here to see the end of the handiwork he and his old school GOP pals started, but at least at the end, he realized just how monstrous a party he helped to shape was.

11 Likes

Trump: Bob Bennet was a disgrace. He was a Romney clone, just poorer. What’s up with Mormons anyway? I will look into deporting all of them.

2 Likes

With all due respect to Bennett and his family this sounds more than a little the death bed apologies offered by Lee Atwater to the many people he defamed in the name of the GOP. It’s funny how GOPers, as they retire form politics or life, suddenly repent the course they and their party are on.

5 Likes

Wow, a few even have a conscience! What a marvel it would have been had he voted for Obamacare, or anything else that honors the newly arrived working poor!

2 Likes

This clown voted for every lousy piece of GOP legislation for decades.

He and Scalia will have a lot to talk about in Hell.

7 Likes

Sorry, no sale.

3 Likes

It’s time to play “Let’s Make A Deathbed Deal,” starring Ned Crimson.
Watch out for door number 2.

He repented because hiis life scared the hell out of him.

1 Like

Lee Atwater is the most egregious one in my mind.

3 Likes

sorry - I should have read further before posting the same thought!

His son and wife both told the site Bennett said, “I’d love to go up to every single one of them to thank them for being in this country, and apologize to them on behalf of the Republican Party for Donald Trump.”

You know, I had no idea he felt this way.

My feeling is you shouldn’t have to apologize for a Party when it’s on the wrong side of a major issue (Constitutionally and morally). You have to leave. Otherwise, it becomes your moral stain.

And I’m not one to hype up most political issues.

3 Likes

My feeling is you shouldn’t have to apologize for a Party when it’s on the wrong side of a major issue (Constitutionally and morally). You have to leave. Otherwise, it becomes your moral stain.

I agree with you. Apologizing but nonetheless staying sends the signal that you don’t really have that much of a problem with the horror that’s going on in your Party. The issues have become unseemly.

Also, the whole “deathbed confession” thing is most truly a day late and a dollar short. So, as @squirreltown put it, no sale.

Just curious, but did he want to go around the hospital and apologize to all the Mexicans, Black people and women in there too? RIP Bob Bennett. At least you tried…

1 Like

This shred of decency – while too little (see @djnoll above) and too late (see @imkmu3 above) — demonstrates that it was entirely appropriate for Mike Lee to run him out of the Senate. There’s no room for weaklings who believe in fairness or kindness in the Tea Party GOP.

4 Likes

Sad story, not for the Senator’s dismal end but for the life the individual in question obviously knew he wasted. Still, he sought forgiveness in the absolution of the one on one human contact that his ego once diminished in order to commit the sins he so regretted.

1 Like

RIP Senator Bennett. You were one of the few relatively sane Republicans - that’s why the Tea Partiers had to kick you out for the crazy Mike Lee.

2 Likes

At long last, Senator, have you no sense of decency?

Oh, I see that you had at least a little, at least at the end. Better something than nothing, and better late than never. Rest in Peace.

Too little, too late.
Rot in Hell, Republican.