Discussion: DOJ Issues Scathing Report On 'Severe,' 'Systemic' Problems In Alabama Prisons

White male supremacy is sadistic by design.

5 Likes

In the 1890s the principal source of Alabama state government revenue was renting out prisoners as slave labor.

7 Likes
The Trump administration, in contrast, has taken a more
      hands-off approach.

Before he left office last year, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions,
  a longtime Alabama senator, released a memo limiting the use of
  consent decrees struck between the federal government and local
     agencies under investigation.

That leaves the hands-on approach … for the inmates —

4 Likes

How amazingly coincidental is it that, within mere months of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III of Alabama leaving the office of Attorney General that the Department of Justice issues a report slamming Alabama?

It’s almost as though this report was ready to be released at any moment for some period of time, only to be blocked…

5 Likes

I don’t know.

I fully expect to hear the Assistant Attorney General Dreiband has been fired in 3… 2… 1…

2 Likes

“The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.”
-Fyodor Dostoevsky, from The House of the Dead

4 Likes

violating the Constitution by failing to protect inmates from violence and sexual abuse and by housing them in unsafe and overcrowded facilities,
So, nothing changed since 1819 except profits off the bets.

2 Likes

I commend the DOJ for taking this long-overdue step. I hope their patience for Alabama to right itself is not infinite.

2 Likes

it may sue if officials there don’t make improvements soon.

Or perhaps send a sternly worded letter.

2 Likes

This isn’t the first indication of wrongdoing in Alabama.

2 Likes

When did Susan Collins (R - Invertebrata) join the DoJ?

Now, there you go again, pitting poor Sen. Collins against her own self-interested political self. It takes a lot to draw up a full measure of concern about more than one issue during a single legislative session. /s

1 Like

Remember, this is a State that, until recently, had a law that allowed a local sheriff to pocket $1.5 million in public funds that were suppose to go to feed inmates. Willful neglect is practically Alabama state policy.