Discussion: Did The Supreme Court Just Tip Its Hand On Same-Sex Marriage Outcome?

Hey, if the shoe fits. Personal integrity left SCROTUS with Bush v. Gore.

2 Likes

Bush did that to gain favor with right wing Republicans. The same Right wing Republicans who paid Bush back by voting for Buchanan in the 92 primaries and who either stayed home or voted for Perot in the 92 general election.

So he actually talks? I thought he just cashed a paycheck for doing the teabagger’s bidding.

Roy Moore and any judges who follow his order should be fired and disbarred: immediately.

His words were a bunch of legalese:

“This acquiescence may well be seen as a signal of the Court’s intended resolution of that question,” Thomas wrote. “This is not the proper way to discharge our Article III responsibilities. And, it is indecorous for this Court to pretend that it is.”

Here is the plain-English translation:
Even Antonin and I can’t figure out any Constitutionally-supported justification for banning same-sex marriage, and I’m pissed. Royally pissed.

6 Likes

Frick and Frack are at it again. They must be two of the most insecure heteros in the world. Don’t blame your hate and self-loathing on God or Beyonce. As Pope Francis has said, echoing what Jesus said, “Who are we mere mortals to judge one another?”

In a republic, all citizens have the same rights or none of us do. Thomas doesn’t want anyone to have any freedom and liberty because he doesn’t trust himself when it comes to letting democracy decide. He has to leave it up to some Higher Power…such as Scalia. Not my idea of a godly figure.

2 Likes

I believe he’s Scalia’s man servant.

Poppy must have been indulging on the poppies?

It is incredulous that Thomas is feeling sorry for states who passed laws that discriminate against people, yet says nothing about the rights of people the states are discriminating against. Good thing he was not on the court when Loving v. Virginia was decided, let alone any other civil rights laws.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’m sure they would have gotten around to it- someday: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/18/mississippi-13th-amendment_n_2712289.html

1 Like

Has Thomas ever differed from Scalia on anything? He does just as Scalia tells him too.

1 Like

Hell, state’s rights would have prevented him from taking her to the movies or for a soda at Woolworth’s counter after. Interracial marriage wasn’t even comprehensible.

1 Like

Anything that pisses off Clarence Thomas, makes my day.

3 Likes

A former SCOTUS did “corporations are people” long before Bush v Gore.

Or Catholic agendas.

Long John speaks!!!

1 Like

Maybe he’s sorry he was allowed to take her on that first date and just wants to protect others from making similar mistakes.

1 Like

So, in your mind judicial philosophies overrule common sense and human decency?

“…Today’s decision represents yet another example of this Court’s increasingly cavalier attitude toward the States…”

What he tipped his hand about is his belief, not in the States, but in the singular righteousness of the Feds.

The fact is States are finding what conservatives want to paper over, because conservatives want every state to ban it. They’d never in a million years tolerate even one.

Did the Supreme Court tip its hand? Duh, uh.

But the court really tipped its hand when it refused to overturn the 10th Circuit’s refusal to stay the decision overturning Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available