Discussion: Did The Supreme Court Just Tip Its Hand On Same-Sex Marriage Outcome?

Discussion for article #233054

Clarence Thomas spoke?

15 Likes

my thought too. Scalia must have been running late from his Depends change.

2 Likes

When Thomas’ wife got all that money for gutting Obamacare, that was a reveal for how Thomas was going to vote on that. So, fuck you Thomascalia.

13 Likes

It doesn’t matter to me who wants to enter the retrograde institution of marriage.
This will be the most anti-climatic Supreme Court decision in recent memory.

Justice Thomas and I agree about one thing: this almost certainly shows the Court’s hand regarding SSM becoming a constitutional right in all of the 50 states. However, I don’t necessarily understand why Justice Thomas thinks that a majority of the Court should vote to stop SSM in Alabama now if they are inclined to vote to allow it later. Justice delayed is justice denied, Justice Thomas.

I would also add that the Court showed their hand several months ago when they refused to hear Utah and Oklahoma’s appeals. If the Justices opposed to SSM would have had the votes to stop it and return SSM to the states, they most certainly would have.

5 Likes

This is no different than what they did in 2000 when they upended Florida’s ability to conduct elections in it sown state in Bush v. Gore. Payback is a botch.

1 Like

No, he penned a dissent w/ Scalia. Who wants to hear him speak?

4 Likes

The dissent by Thomas, joined by Justice Antonin Scalia, accused the other justices of failing to show “the people of Alabama the respect they deserve”

Quite the contrary-it’s exactly the amount of respect they deserve here.

18 Likes

Thomas is the Suprene Courts joke, and Scalia is their buffoon. Either way SCOTUS loses the country’s respect daily.

1 Like

Even when he says something he really doesn’t say anything. Thomas will go down as the worst Supreme in the history of Supremes.

2 Likes

Silent Tom places a loud, curly hair on the bar of indecorousness.

6 Likes

“Today’s decision represents yet another example of this Court’s increasingly cavalier attitude toward the States,”

Well gee, maybe the States should stop trying to prevent non-related consenting legal adults from marrying the person they choose. Does that sound like a good idea?

3 Likes

The part about this that is so horribly ironic to me is that it’s due to the Loving decision that Justice Thomas and his wife can even be married now. Absent a Supreme Court ruling, it’s hard to guess how long it would have taken for the deep south to allow interracial couples to marry. Perhaps they would all have allowed it by 1987, when Ginny and Justice Thomas married, but who can know? Sometimes the courts need to step in and, as Justice Jackson said in Barnette, place some things beyond the reach of majorities or officials.

12 Likes

Sorry, just to clarify, you meant respecting the straight people of Alabama right? 'Cuae I’m pretty certain you disrespected the hell out of the LGBT community.

Just to clarify this for you Justice Thomas, this would be like respecting the white people of Alabama, but dis-respecting all the non-white people.

Does that help?

6 Likes

Actually, four of the justices don’t have “minds”: Coke Can Pube, Strip Search Sammy, Tonino, and Umpire have kneejerk political agendas that determine their votes.

“indecorous” … ??? … seriously? I wonder what he says when he breaks a nail?

2 Likes

Poor Clarence…
He never should have been appointed to the Court in the first place.
He’s in way over his head.

4 Likes

He should stick to not speaking

I love the way Thomas stands up for states rights—which would have kept him from marrying his right-wing harridan of a wife if the Supremes of 1967 had believed as he does.

The near-total lack of logic in his belief system, such as it is, is astonishing and hilarious at the same time.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available