Discussion: Did Dems Just Roll Trump? POTUS Agrees To Short-Term Debt Limit Hike

4 Likes

This episode of Kabuki Theater has been brought to you by 70,000 idiots. Or 100,000 idiots depending upon who is counting.

35 Likes

Well THIS was a record-scratch headline and article.

7 Likes

And Trump isn’t one to back out a deal (by Twitter).

9 Likes

Where was Paul Ryan? Busy at the gym?

13 Likes

The Art of the Deal: Cave immediately. Have no principles and change your positions constantly. Wrap up meetings quickly by nodding vigorously.

@epicurus Ryan, Mnuchin, and McCarthy were all sitting on the opposite couch.

30 Likes

I think the key here is that Trump will do anything not to have to make a tough decision … especially one that could backfire on him. So kicking the can (see: DACA), or the path of least resistance, is always his first option. Then he can go back to concentrating on the not good hurricane.

35 Likes

How would this constitute a rolling of Trump by Democrats? Genuinely curious. I can speculate, but I’d prefer to know whatever facts might be out there.

6 Likes

Republicans wanted a long-term debt ceiling increase. Mnuchin in particular vehemently opposed any increase shorter than six months, and initially wanted one that would last through the mid-terms.

29 Likes

Obviously, Chuck and Nancy were able to do that sweet, sweet voodoo. The DACA blowback must be way worse than I’d imagined, plus news on Russia. The Collapser-in-chief must be badly rattled.

But this sets Dems up to fight in a longer time frame, and Eddie Munster must be furious - just a couple of hours ago he was chiding Dems for attempting to “play politics and hold the threat of government shutdown over critical spending etc., etc.” Losing his 18 month extension for nothing but disaster relief has to sting.

The Karma, she is a BITCH. (In my head, I’m using a Spanglish pronunciation on the last word.)

29 Likes

I think it’s seen that shorter-term ceiling increases mean that the Democrats (or the out-of-power party in general) can hit the GOP again and again and again with the same rhetorical/leverage hammer. But I am not super clear on this either.

14 Likes

Fancy footwork … turned backpedaling …

is a good place to find an opponent -----

Now…let’s wait for the ’ flailing ’ —

12 Likes

14 Likes

Trump wants to go home to NYC. His waterfront estate on St. Martin is housing fishies, Mar a Lago is in Irma’s crosshairs, his Dreamers edict is considered loathsome by 99.9% of the US, Mueller is about to blow up his financial house of cards, and he doesn’t give a shit anymore. He’s thinking “just take your money and go away”. Brain fry…

41 Likes

Anything, anything that he can term “a deal” he sees as a win. He’s incapable of thinking beyond that. Bet the GOP blowback will shock the shit out of him.

21 Likes

Somebody on the GOP side of these issues had to sit down with Trump and lay out their stance on all these budget items, and how the majority in Congress intended to address them. So…WTF? McConnell and Ryan must think they’re trapped in hell about now.

14 Likes

Yes, consistent with the fact that Dumbo Don the Con is a coward and a bully. That means he ALWAYS takes the easy way out and is quite happy to kick the can down the road…

8 Likes

It’s certainly where they belong.

48 Likes

Trump made Obamacare great again.
Trump is making Dreamers great again.

20 Likes

Apparently he didn’t even listen to Mnuchin. Schumer got to him with some NYC-ese, made him nostalgic for the Deal.

25 Likes