Discussion: DeVos Won't Answer Whether Federally Funded Schools Can Discriminate

2 Likes

Given that she thinks the government shouldn’t have anything to do with schools at all, I don’t see why she’d think the government should be protecting students in schools.

7 Likes

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos refused to say Tuesday whether schools receiving federal dollars were required to protect students from discrimination on the basis of their sexuality.

I’ll take that as a solid “No.”

“As a Christian first and a Republican second,” she said, “I can unequivocally state there’s just not enough hate in the world.”

11 Likes

Of course they can
Whats the point if you can’t keep out the lesbians, queers, godless heathens and brown people you don’t like.
It’s the whole idea hidden behind “private”

8 Likes

More like “Mis-Education” Secretary DeVos.

4 Likes

She actually said “yes, they can.”

If she’s going to leave clarification of federal law to the courts and congress, she is saying schools and states can do what they please in the interim.

Why wasn’t she pressed on this??

8 Likes

Not only is discrimination allowed, but this is now a core competency of the Department of Education. Yes, I am picking winners and losers. – DeVos

5 Likes

The can’t answer that question answer seems to be in style.

5 Likes

Reminds me of this…

3 Likes

Good, open up the schools which would discriminate to lawsuits from multiple angles, thereby costing the schools massive amounts of money in legal fees for doing that which they knew was discriminatory, put them out of business

4 Likes

She really can’t stand the fact that brown people are smarter than her in spite of what Mommy and Daddy assured her.

3 Likes

I’ll just note that exactly 125 years ago today, on June 7, 1892…

Homer Plessy was arrested for sitting in the “White’s Only” car of the East Louisiana Railroad…

Leading to the Supreme Court decision in Plessy v. Ferguson

That legalized “separate but equal” schools in America…

Until Brown v. Board of Education in 1954.

(Offered without additional comment.)

12 Likes

Damn, sickneffintired, I’m three of those!

3 Likes

Just one more completely unqualified, worthless Trump appointee soiling the chair she sits in. Thanks, Senate GOP! Heckuva job!!

5 Likes

DeVos: Thats the wrong question. Federally funded schools Must Discriminate - That is a Fact.

2 Likes

Betsy DeVos: “Wait. I thought that all of the questions were going to be multiple choice.”

3 Likes

That’s Senator Jeff Merkley of Oregon, not Markey.

2 Likes

Love how they ‘answer’ a direct specific question with a boiler plate statement that has little or nothing to do with the question.

And then do if over and over again for each question.

And then go on Fox and whine about having to answer gotcha questions that they didn’t actually answer.

1 Like

Agreed. Although Merkley (not Markey) did a fair job, the questions could have been better. When you get a non-answer, ask something more specific that cannot be dodged. For instance, instead of premising that the law is fuzzy, ask her if she thinks the law is clear. Follow-up:

Does your job require you to enforce that law?
Do you think that you understand the law about discrimination?
Do you think that the law requires non-discrimination re: LBGT students?
What is your responsibility if you are not sure about the law?
If you are not sure, how will you find out what the law requires of you?
When will you do that?
What, exactly, will you ask?
When can we expect a written answer to the question?
What should we do if we do not hear back from you by then?

The more simple and obvious the questions, the more ludicrous that non-responsive answers are.

4 Likes

Every Trumphole I’ve ever spoken to is absolutely convinced of two things:

A. They said they voted for Trump because they were convinced he’s “shake things up” in Washington.
B. They are absolutely convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that nobody has it worse than them and it’s time everybody else was made just as miserable as they are.

They never say who ‘everybody else’ is but I think DeVos is hinting at it here.

3 Likes