Discussion: Desire To See Mueller Findings Ushers In Period Of Peace On House Intel Cmte

looks like the abominationā€™s claim of executive privilege over the release of the entire Mueller report and itā€™s attendant documents isnā€™t going to hold water even in the republikkkan cult. Iā€™m sure Roberts is paying attention to right wing rumblings and wonā€™t be risking his reputation to side with an obviously corrupt ā€˜presidentā€™.

6 Likes

Devin want the report so he can try and help the GOP brace for what will be eventually public.

And selective leaksā€¦obviously

8 Likes

1 Like

OT but came across this via Alternet
Thatā€™s him, the guy behind the curtain Fascinating
Exclusive: Trump, the billion-dollar loser ā€” I was his ghostwriter and saw it happen
https://news.yahoo.com/trump-the-billiondollar-loser-his-ghostwriter-recalls-the-king-midas-years-090000640.html

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t hold my breath on thisā€¦ I think itā€™s just as likely that this is just a ā€˜rope a dopeā€™ strategy by these Rā€™s to give them the look of being bipartisan. The executive is going to be sure to push this to the Supreme Court, and count on the two new tRump Toadies on the court to rule in their favor.

5 Likes

definitely not holding my breath, Iā€™ve just decided to be slightly more optimistic today instead of my typically cynical stance.

I get the feeling that some in the fascistgop are starting to think the unredacted Mueller report will see the light of day and theyā€™re positioning themselves accordingly. I think there are four on the supremely corrupt court whoā€™ll back any reichwing position, but I think roberts himself would side with the actual law if he determines it will help his legacy.

Good chance my cynicism about our politics will return tomorrow, though.

3 Likes

I had to like your post for the ā€˜rope-a-dopeā€™ bit which I think is absolutely spot-on.

Youā€™re braver than I am for divining the future SCOTUS ruling. I keep hearing that three justices during Watergate were appointed by Nixon and ruled against him. There are also noises being made that indicate Roberts may be more interested in his legacy and preserving the constitutional rule of law than acting as a partisan shill for traitor_tRump.

I see similar predictions being made for the Senate vote on impeachment too. Granted, the Vegas book is probably leaning to the right winning on both counts but thereā€™s a lot of variables and moving parts. Personally, I think itā€™s more of a toss-up and a lot depends on whatā€™s turned up in the House investigations and hearings.

1 Like

This myth about Roberts needs to go away.

One single vote (which was not made to save Obamacare, but rather to avoid causing problems for other right-wing priorities which the precedent set would have endangered) that accidentally went the correct and just way does not give a lifetime of freebies.

Every other major vote, heā€™s been with the reich-wing on.

There is zero indication that he will rule against the emperor.

2 Likes

The thing about the Senate that has surprised me is that I thought that the Rā€™s would eventually tire of defending Trump and realize that they have a much more consistently Conservative lunatic in Pence. Since there are less than two years left in the term, Pence could become President and have the incumbency going into 2020 and 2024. If they had ditched Trump sooner, Pence would only have been able to run once.
Whatever.
Kamala 2020!

3 Likes

Well he voted against him on the Muslim travel ban:

Link

Still Iā€™m grateful for your reply as it spurred me to do a little more research.

Folks continue to make the mistake of assuming that every Repub judge and especially every Trump appointee is going to rule in his favor no matter what. I have to disagree. Itā€™s not so much that theyā€™re all going to find their inner moral compass. Rather, itā€™s that itā€™s just a matter of time before they rightly view Trump as more liability than asset, and will unceremoniously dump him.

Having used him to pass that tax cut and move the courts solidly to the right, and facing the stain of continued support of him, theyā€™re dispense with his services and throw him under the bus. Count on it. Heā€™s like the useful idiot asset in a spy or mob movie. No longer of any real use and representing a potentially dangerous loose end (especially in this instance), he gets his and thatā€™s that.

Quite literally, heā€™s not going to be the boss of them for much longer. Theyā€™re setting up for it now.

This one was the migrant issue, not the Muslim travel ban (that one Roberts let through with the laughable notion that as long as the administration insisted with a straight face that it wasnā€™t a Muslim travel ban, then they could do whatever they wanted, no matter how many times Trump had explicitly said that it was a Muslim travel ban).

And itā€™s only one small decision on one minor and temporary issue-- thereā€™s a lot of stuff with immigration and that moving through.

When I say lockstep, Iā€™m talking about the ā€œBigā€ decisions, not every single one. You know, the Hobby Lobby, Citizenā€™s United, and the like. Score out those, and the ONLY one that Roberts has come on the correct side was Obamacare.

Masking that statistic with the noise of the minor decisions skews the true picture of what he is-- a reliable deliverer to the republican party.

4 Likes

No, actually, not really. Heā€™s no liberal, but heā€™s no Scalia, either. And his concern is the future of the independence of the courts and the conservative movement. Trump is an existential threat to both.

Itā€™s a meme, isnā€™t it?: ā€œIf thereā€™s nothing to hide, everything should come out.ā€ and/or

ā€œSurely our leaders have always done their level best for the American people, so theyā€™ll really benefit big-time by releasing everything, which will prove it.ā€

2 Likes

Name one. Iā€™ll wait.

Remember the rules: itā€™s the ā€œBigā€ decisions-- Hobby Lobby/Citizenā€™s United, etc. No decisions that werenā€™t big flag-waving and partisan events.

2 Likes

Well, for starters, taking the unprecedented step of rebuking a president, let alone one of his own party, over his attacks on judges and the courts. Has no legal weight, but still not the sort of thing youā€™d expect a far-right fanatic such as the one you seem to imagine he is would do. And donā€™t give me that ā€œOh heā€™s just being super-strategeric hereā€ BS, which is literally no different from claiming that everything Obama did was an example of his brilliance. He defended the courts against a bully and would-be tyrant, and would do so again.

As for actual rulings:

• Texas execution case
  • Louisiana abortion case
  • Michigan v. Bay Mills
  • Indian Community Williams-Yulee v. The Florida Bar
  • Blocked Trumpā€™s EO automatically rejecting asylum bids by people who cross the Mexican border illegally
  • Voted to refuse to hear two cases arising from efforts by states to bar Planned Parenthood clinics from Medicaid

On some rulings, he may well be more ā€œliberalā€ (or, rather, libertarian) than some thought. On others, itā€™s more of a technical legal thing. Overall, though, his aim is to protect the courts from executive encroachment. He will rule against Trump in all such cases. Plus, Iā€™m sure he personally loathes the man.

3 Likes

Trumpā€™s power is that, for now, he has blocked nearly all information on his criminality.

That will not continue. The more he blocks the more ā€œcase closedā€, ā€œletā€™s move onā€, etc looks like a coverup.
The actual malfeasance of Nixon got much more scrutiny because of the coverup.

Trumpā€™s coverup(s) dwarf Nixonā€™s by exponential comparisons

8 Likes

So am I the only who thinks Nunes and his fellow Republicans on the Intel Committee want the full unredacted report with supporting evidence is so they can comb through it to find the FBI and et al Deep State members?

7 Likes

Devin, leak? Only to the White House.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available