Discussion: Democrats Upset As Senate Moves To Seal Copies Of Torture Report

Perhaps Burr may have this in mind.

The Convention on the Non-Applicability of Statutory Limitations to War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity was adopted and opened for signature, ratification and accession by United Nations General Assembly resolution 2391 (XXIII) of 26 November 1968. Pursuant to the provisions of its Article VIII (90 days following the deposit of the tenth ratification), it came into force on 11 November 1970.

The Convention provides that no signatory state may apply statutory limitations to:

War crimes as they are defined in the Charter of the NĂĽrnberg International Military Tribunal of 8 August 1945.

Crimes against humanity, whether committed in time of war or in time of peace, as defined in the Charter of the NĂĽrnberg International Military Tribunal, eviction by armed attack or occupation, inhuman acts resulting from the policy of apartheid, and the crime of genocide as defined in the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.

If so, I don’t really understand why. After all, white people don’t get tried in The Hague.

1 Like

Isn’t that cat out of the bag?

1 Like

Maybe Burr is practicing for how he’ll deal with reports on donnie. Not that the GOP needs practice in this matter - they’ve been party before country for decades now.

1 Like

Not that the GOP needs practice in this matter - they’ve been party before country for decades now.

I put the year at no later than 1994, with Newt Gingrich and the Contract on America. But you could argue it started with the election of Ronald Reagan in 1980 and the Iran hostage release just after noon on inauguration day in early 1981.

5 Likes

That should not be considered sarcasm, per one of the guards at the court there. BTW, they still have a room reserved for GWBush.

1 Like

We need a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting Congress from making a different set of laws for themselves. Congress should not have the power to bury documents financed by taxpayers.

4 Likes

So Serbians aren’t White People? There would be a lot of folks who would agree with that, and yet.

Reagan was the first president elected by the babyboom generation and we have seen the damage that they’ve been doing politically ever since to the point that such egocentrism has become the norm. Trump is not an aberration. he is the cumlmination.

2 Likes

How about Nixon’s back channel to South Vietnam in 1968, to undercut Johnson’s peace negotiations? (cf. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/yes-nixon-scuttled-the-vietnam-peace-talks-107623 )

I’m 62 and I can’t remember the Republican party ever putting country before party in my entire lifetime.

1 Like

I read where pres Obama made those exact tourture reports incorporated ito his own papers for his library still classified but he knew the drumpf admin and the republicons would pull this stunt…now they cant touch them…

A little late responding, but thank you for posting this. I consider my self a student of history (I do have a B.A. in the subject) and this is an episode that I was not aware of, even the rumors.

As for when Republicans first began putting their party above their country, I think there are a lot of options to point to, but my criteria has been more of a consensus. I do think Nixon put himself above the country and to the extent his party apparatus elevated his own status in that regard, he was just fine with it.

1 Like

I was only a very young kid when Reagan went into office, but from what I’ve learned since, it’s always kind of seemed to me that his presdiency was the start of the GOP’s slide into, for lack of a better term, the shit pit. However, @wkiernan, you give a great example, and I readily yield to your longer life experience. And no, that wasn’t an age crack :wink: