Discussion: Dem Senators Greet Biden Campaign With Chorus Of Endorsements

1 Like

I like it. Doug Jones has a pair. Thank you Sen. Casey.

7 Likes

That’s more of a barbershop quartet than a chorus. And two of them are from Joe’s home state of Delaware!

23 Likes

I doubt those were “greets”, might have been planned. Biden wouldn’t have entered the race without the assurance that he’s better positioned than others.
How’ll it develop? We’ll see.

2 Likes

Joe certainly isn’t my favorite candidate but at least he brings a level of professional ability to the race that hopefully will send st bernard of no accomplishments and his band of silly amateurs back to obscurity.

10 Likes

the only reason he’s leading in the polls is because of name recognition. give Elizabeth warren the attention she deserves, esp after her appearance at the She the People conference, where she was compelling and enthusiastically welcomed.

21 Likes

MJ interviewed Doug Jones recently. From Mother Jones yesterday

9 Likes

Good read. ^^^^^ Thanks for the link.

3 Likes

I don’t like the Supreme Court decision on abortion. I think it went too far. I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body. – Biden

2 Likes

Public service announcement.

I love Bernie, but I am getting tired of his fanboys who tear down everyone else. I also like the other candidates in the race, but I am tired of those with Bernie Derangement Syndrome. Let’s stick to the issues and how to defeat the swamp creatures.

29 Likes

Thanks for the link, worth the read or listen. Doug really does know how phrase things just right to speak his home state.

2 Likes

Elect Biden and you get this …

5 Likes

Yeah, endorsements from U.S. Senators have exactly zero impact on voters. I can see why Biden’s colleagues would support him, but it won’t make any difference in the primaries.

7 Likes

I am no Biden fan, but please read his statements on abortion in their entirety.
http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Joe_Biden_Abortion.htm

“I remember vividly the first time, in 1973, I had to go to the floor to vote on abortion. A fellow Senator asked how I would vote. “My position is that I am personally opposed to abortion, but I don’t think I have a right to impose my few on the rest of society. I’ve thought a lot about it, and my position probably doesn’t please anyone. I think the government should stay out completely. I will not vote to overturn the Court’s decision. I will not vote to curtail a woman’s right to choose abortion. But I will also not vote to use federal funds to fund abortion.“
I’ve stuck to my middle-of-the-road position on abortion for more than 30 years. I still vote against partial birth abortion and federal funding, and I’d like to make it easier for scared young mothers to choose not to have an abortion, but I will also vote against a constitutional amendment that strips a woman of her right to make her own choice.”

“Q: As president would you have a specific litmus test question on Roe v. Wade that you would ask of your nominees for the high court?
A: I strongly support Roe v. Wade. I wouldn’t have a specific question but I would make sure that the people I sent to be nominated for the Supreme Court shared my values; and understood that there is a right to privacy in the United States Constitution. That’s why I led the fight to defeat Bork, Roberts Alito, and Thomas.”

Source: 2007 South Carolina Democratic primary debate, on MSNBC , Apr 26, 2007

"Q: What role your religion has played in your own personal views on abortion?
RYAN: I don’t see how a person can separate their public life from their private life or from their faith.

BIDEN: My religion defines who I am. And I’ve been a practicing Catholic my whole life. And it has particularly informed my social doctrine. Catholic social doctrine talks about taking care of those who can’t take care of themselves, people who need help. With regard to abortion, I accept my church’s position that life begins at conception. That’s the church’s judgment. I accept it in my personal life. But I refuse to impose it on equally devout Christians and Muslims and Jews and–I just refuse to impose that on others, unlike my friend here, the congressman. I do not believe that we have a right to tell other people that women can’t control their body. It’s a decision between them and their doctor, in my view. And the Supreme Court–I’m not going to interfere with that."

Source: 2012 Vice Presidential debate , Oct 11, 2012

23 Likes

It’s a welcome to the long time men’s only club from the current men in the club.

11 Likes

They just can’t help themselves. They’re going to hold their thumbs on the scale whether or not we ask them to stop. I don’t think Biden has a chance in hell.

At a time when the Democratic party is finally showing signs of life and welcoming new generations of activists the last thing we need is to succumb to nostalgia.

Going backwards is not an option. Besides, Obama/Biden weren’t all that great… admit it.

5 Likes

Casey: “In order to accomplish the urgent task of defeating President Trump…”

Whatever statements, positions, or votes Biden’s taken in the past are utterly eclipsed by the horror of Trump.

I would crawl over broken glass to vote for Biden in the general – or for any Dem candidate.

Even ones I otherwise despise.

My first, second, or third choices be damned – the ONLY thing that matters is ridding our world of The Beast.

38 Likes

I have no problem if Coons et al want Biden, but they shouldn’t have jumped in with endorsements. It’s too soon and not a good look.

@irasdad That is the bottom line. Like x a million millions.

5 Likes

Joe Biden, 1974

"Roe V Wade went too far. I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body.

And with that he voted for the Hyde Amendment prohibiting any and all federal funding for abortions, and fathered the “Biden Amendment” that banned the use US foreign aid for abortion research.

Somewhere along the line he was told it’s not a good political look to talk about withholding women’s reproductive rights from them. Color me skeptical Part Deux.

@dougsanders

10 Likes

No, No, No, No No. WTF is wrong with you.

3 Likes