Discussion: Dem Rep. Says She Regrets Delayed Firing Of Staffer Accused Of Abuse

Esty told the Washington Post she consulted with the Office of House Employment to negotiate Baker’s departure. She said she felt pressured to sign a nondisclosure agreement with Baker. The agreement had secrecy provisions, gave Baker a severance and included a draft recommendation letter from Esty, according to the Washington Post, which obtained a copy of the agreement.

She’s my rep. I’m pissed and letting her know that. This whole line of ā€œfeeling pressured to sign an NDAā€ smells to high heaven.

What does Baker have on Esty?

Isn’t that what this is all about?

ā€œThis has been a true learning moment,ā€ Ms. Etsy will soon say, quietly grateful this news fell on a Friday, and the eve of a religious holiday so people will quickly need to forgive her and forget.

Recommending that SOB to Sandy Hook Promise has legs. CT won’t forgive that. I told her that I look forward to supporting another Democrat when she runs for reelection.

It seems that the proper course would have been for Etsy to put Baker on administrative leave as soon as she found out about the message, conduct the investigation, and then fire his ass for cause.

5 Likes

Very recently (this week some time I believe…sorry, I’m in Hillary’s demographic and obsessively empty my mail trash and haven’t kept it) Esty emailed cancelling without explanation a scheduled town hall. She must have known this was about to break and is hiding from her constituents.

1 Like

The Washington Post article provides a couple of interesting details:

  1. Etsy supplied the NDA and assocaited documents to the newspaper
  2. The people she apparently felt pressured by were the House office of employment counsel, i.e. the folks she consulted to say ā€œOh s***, one of my staffers is criminally abusing another staffer, how do I get rid of him?ā€

If so, she’s still at fault for not moving faster and more decisively, but the systemic problem is a bigger deal.

4 Likes

I’m conflicted. According to this article she did almost everything she should have. She was told of the abuse, she had it investigated and she fired him. Is she being vilified for not doing it fast enough? Not ā€˜good’ enough? I’m ALL for getting rid of people that threaten and / or abuse others ESPECIALLY when using their authority to do it but all events need to be looked at and there are employment rules and laws to be followed.

1 Like

ā€œdid not immediately move to fire her chief of staff, who was accused of abusing another staffer, and recommended the chief of staff for another jobā€

The latter is certainly the wrong thing to do, but so is the former. Suspend, investigate, determine, THEN fire. Fuck this nonsense of accusations equating with convictions.

1 Like

Calls Raised For Elizabeth Esty to Resign