Discussion: Dem Florida Rep. Hastings Says He Has Pancreatic Cancer

That’s horrible. My understanding is that there is no good prognosis for pancreatic cancer.

9 Likes

Mostly but not quite always so. RBG had surgery for PC in 2009. Her most recent skirmish with cancer (discovered in November) involved a lung. Just keep fingers well crossed.

8 Likes

A genuine case for thoughts and prayers, offered with sincerity.

4 Likes

This gent has always been a fighter and he will need to keep doing that. I hope that he can last until he sees the need to allow a Democratic replacement.

2 Likes

My grandfather beat it. Chemo took its toll on his heart, but he lived 10+ years afterward.

Also, was it neccessary for TPM to mention his previous impeachment from judgeship? If such rules were consistent McCains cancer announcement would have been like

“McCain had deadly brain cancer, remember when he was caught up in Keating 5 scandal”

7 Likes

A valid point, but remember it was an AP article, which never miss a chance to smear any non-Republican…

6 Likes

If it’s the most common form of pancreatic cancer- 9% 5-year survival rate. 80% of patients are dead within 9 months. If it’s the type that Steve Jobs, Aretha Franklin and RBG got, the prognosis is much better.

3 Likes

Oh, wow! I didn’t realize she’d had pancreatic cancer. MY gosh, that woman is something else. Thank you for sharing this with me.

1 Like

Some of the nastier forms are starting to have treatments that extend life, but these are cells that secrete evil substances for a living. I hope he gets the best of care.

I think that on the rare occasions where it’s caught early, usually incidentally, the prognosis is much, much better. Since it doesn’t have symptoms though until it is late stage, that doesn’t happen often. Once doctors have a reason to look, it’s too late.

Yeah - that’s the main problem. It’s very treatable, but non-symptomatic, in the early stages. But by the time the symptoms start, your goose is 90% cooked.

But if you find the cancer earlier for some other reason, you have pretty good chances. Heard a story about a guy who had “the best car accident ever”. They were worried he might have some internal damage from the seatbelt so they took a scan - discovered his pancreatic cancer and cured it quite easily. If he hadn’t had the car accident he would have been a goner about 2 years later.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available