Discussion: DC Restaurant Apologizes After Hosting White Nationalists' Banquet

“he statement continued that Maggiano’s was “not aware” of the group’s real name or what it represented, and that the restaurant would donate its profits from Friday, $10,000, to the Anti-Defamation League.”

Good, SHAME still exists in America.

A lot of folks will soon be deciding what side they are on.

23 Likes

Everyone ordering ‘Pigs in a Blanket’ was the first clue…

3 Likes

Sicilian’s were not always favorably viewed in this country particularly by the White Nationalists sort. Not to blame the restaurant but many suffer from historical amnesia.

5 Likes

Sicilians aren’t favorably viewed by large swaths of Italy. In fact, I’ve known florentines who would never think of traveling south of Rome.

9 Likes

Just where are economically anxiety-ridden people supposed to eat?

Con Artist voters: you own this.

8 Likes

Trump: ‘wasn’t me’

Preibus:"me either "

1 Like

A lot of White supremacists don’t really seem to get that they STILL aren’t accepted by much of America. Maggiano’s doesn’t necessarily recognize Black or White but they do recognize Green. As in money. Upscale establishments can’t afford to align themselves with scmbags like this because, at the end of the day, they’re scmbags. And most of the 1% doesn’t want to be seen with “outright” sh*tbags. (maybe on the QT?) It’s bad for international business, if nothing else.

9 Likes

The statement continued that Maggiano’s was “not aware” of the group’s real name or what it represented, and that the restaurant would donate its profits from Friday, $10,000, to the Anti-Defamation League.

Done right.

19 Likes

I wouldnt consider Maggianos upscale. Unless you’re hating on the DC food scene.

8 Likes

Attendees raised their hands in Nazi salutes and cheered "Heil the people! Heil victory!”

No word yet on how diners enjoyed the “secret ingredient” hastily added to their entrées by horrified kitchen and wait staff.

9 Likes

Restaurant chains are not big on historical memory.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t Cracker Barrel have been more apropos for this group?

25 Likes

Wish these Nazi re-enacters would reenact the bunker scene.

4 Likes

I took my mom to the one in Sacramento (before it closed). I thought it was pretty crummy food, to be honest. And “upscale” in the same sense that Red Lobster is “upscale”.

But donating sales to the ADL is the right move. Good on them for that.

11 Likes

Hello!!! So we are outraged that the NPI held a dinner at a restaurant by booking under a false name. Meantime the real story, hidden in the text is that the NPI’s conference, before they went to the restaurant, was held in the Ronald Reagan Building and World Trade Center, a building owned by the General Services Administration of our US Government.
From the building’s own website at itcdc.com/about/

Trade Center Management Associates (TCMA, A Drew Company) was formed in 1996 to be the exclusive manager of the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center (RRB/ITC) for the U.S. General Services Administration. This partnership was the first of its kind and was made possible by a special act of Congress. TCMA was formed to address the evolving needs of government and private interests, bringing together the best of both for the advancement of international trade and culture. The driving force behind the daily activities of the RRB/ITC, TCMA excels in delivering unparalleled service and expertise in Real-Estate Development, Leasing, Building Operations, Hospitality Services, and International Trade Promotion.

WTF? Or are Trade Center Management Associates, A Drew Company, allowed to rent US Government Property to White Supremacist Organizations for their conferences in Washington DC? This is who we should all be pissed about, not some poor restaurant owner who was fooled into booking them for dinner under false pretenses.

14 Likes

Maggiano’s is owned by Brinker, which also owns Chili’s. Chili’s is where the African American vet was refused the free vet’s meal on Veterans’ Day. Some cracker told the manager that blacks didn’t serve in WWII. Based in Texas, so no surprise with either incident.

7 Likes

Better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

2 Likes

Typical Reaganomics. They socialized the costs and privatized the profits. Government owns the building, but the management company manages property and books the profits.

4 Likes

Bing! Bing! Bing! The Gipper would be horrified!!!
Who did the booking?
Fake name? National Association of Questionable Intellects?

1 Like