Discussion: Cohen’s Lawyer Is In Talks With Former WH Counsel Who Helped Topple Nixon

1 Like

The best part of this (slightly overblown) episode is not in the article:

Dean confirmed his frequent recent discussions with Davis and told POLITICO that another “person I’d really like to talk to is Guy Petrillo,” Cohen’s criminal defense lawyer.

14 Likes

Because, well Cohen needs someone to walk him out through the wall of G-men with guns, to make sure he is not shot?

All I can say is that Cohen is preparing to try to monetize this all. Line up surrogates, supporters, a book agent. I can definately see having another republican “rat” in his corner as being part of that plan…

But gee wiz, can’t we go back to a simpler era when you just answered the FBI’s questions when they can asking, and the chips fell where they fell?

4 Likes

Heh, heh, heh.

Davis probably wants to know how Dean has managed to rehabilitate himself so completely. I would not expect that of Cohen, who is a much more repellent creature. Dean, after all, was a relatively young and callow member of the Watergate cabal. Hardly true of Cohen.

20 Likes

20 Likes

It is a different culture, the era of “accept jesus and be saved” or here more “go on TV and confess you have changed.” As long as Cohen puts the shank into his smarmy grifter ex-“client” 50% of the Country (i.e. 50% of the 58-59% who want to see Don the Con in chains) will want to hear his story of turning on the wannabe Mussolini.

9 Likes

This is unsurprising, as Trump allowed Davis to talk to Dean.

9 Likes

So now we know why trump was talking about John Dean recently…

7 Likes

Cohen apparently thinks he’s setting himself up to be the next John Dean. More likely, he’s setting himself up to be the next Ernst Röhm.

5 Likes

8 Likes

I guess when you want to send a message to Trump, subtle is not the way to go.

23 Likes

“Davis said he is not consulting Dean for legal advice, but rather just to jog his memory on the Watergate investigation.”

Later, Davis said, he’s calling up Bono to jog his memory on the order of U2’s albums, then having lunch with the G7 to remind him whether Brie or Camembert is more popular.

6 Likes

he he …

14 Likes

Why would Mueller NEED to accept Cohen’s cooperation “now” when he’ll eventually have a dead to rights case against Cohen that will send him to prison for a decade or more? Isn’t it better to leave Cohen no option but to fully cooperate after indicting him rather than talking about cutting him a deal now?

1 Like

Exactly. If he helps take down PP he won’t have to do a damn thing to rehabilitate his image. That will be more than enough for the majority of Americans. The American people want this clown gone, and I don’t imagine too many people care who does it nor are we likely to be stingy with our gratitude afterwards.

6 Likes

Subtle? Do you mean like Cheney out hunting with his friends?

12 Likes

Mueller isn’t even involved at this point. The SDNY prosecutor’s office is.

4 Likes

Yes, and some indictments would b nice.

2 Likes

Trump calling John Dean a rat and Mueller’s activities, McCarthyism, once again gives insights into how he see’s the world.

I find it ironic Trump noting McCarthy since there is only one degree of separation between Trump and McCarthy - Roy Cohn.

Calling Dean a rat just re-enforces Trump’s views that he value’s personal loyalty above all else. He see’s Dean as being disloyal to Nixon (hence calling Dean a rat).

What a dangerous coward.

8 Likes

The only way to successfully “send a message” to Cheeto Mussolini is to get FOX & Friends to talk about it for 10 min.

5 Likes