Discussion: Clinton Declines To Say Whether As Prez She'd Ask Comey To Step Down

Hopefully she wont have too…he’ll already have step down or been indicted or in the process of being indicted…

I don’t think you understood what I was getting at. In the course of the long, thorough investigation of whether Comey violated the Hatch Act, there might – unfortunate, I know – be leaks to the press. And as the investigators followed the evidence – say, to determine whether there were other conspirators involved – they might turn up indications that other violations had been committed. And at the end of the process, to reassure the american people that the investigation had been fair, they would be required to hold a press conference detailing exactly what they found, and their decisions on whether to pursue criminal or civil referrals against others who might have been involved in Comey’s decision.

3 Likes

I believe President Obama should save her the trouble. Because, face it, if she asks for his resignation after her election not only will the right play it up as an avoidance of indictment but her as a vindictive bitch.

3 Likes

I think Lynch should demand his resignation after the election – at least sometime before inauguration. He has shown he has lost control of his agency. However, I do think there needs to be a follow up independent investigation into the partisan leaks and collusion with Fox News to throw this election to Trump. The problem has been pervasive – much more widespread than Comey – and clearly a violation of the Hatch Act. Read the Daily Beast Article linked to by Sean.

1 Like

Huh. Sounds familiar… :wink:

No I understood . I was probably not clear .
If this was happening to the Republicans and that he had done the Russian ties instead of the emails.Just pause and imagine for one minute the response .
The conservative entertainment complex would be all fired up with cries of rigging and demanding he be removed . They would have called a special session so they could fire up an inquiry.
Double standard indeed.

I agree with you the process has to not only appear to be, but actually be fair. However, we are in such a politicized environment, I am not sure even a transparent inquiry would quell right wing extremists. As long as the FBI actions have benefited them, and will implicate them, they will not allow for an honest reckoning. We have to get someone else to head the FBI as soon as possible – Comey cannot be trusted – and whoever is appointed (and who gets authority to confirm – the GOP controlled house?) should have a direct mandate from the new attorney general to clean up the mess. I think more than Comey’s head should roll. There are numerous faceless agents who’ve acted with impunity against our democratic process. They need to be outed and charged with criminal violations.

1 Like

Your FB link was taken down. Did you do that?

Probably my privacy settings. Here is the original post which should be available:

@lychnus_diogenes fixed

Having somebody with the judgement, temperament and partisanship of James Comey at the helm of the FBI puts our freedoms, liberties and our national security at risk.

1 Like

What the hell does AG Lynch have to do with this? Why is she spiraling out of control? This makes zero sense.

My greatest disappointment in newly-gaveled Speaker Pelosi was her blanket statement “we are taking impeachment off the table” before even doing any investigation into W’s lies that took us into Iraq.

When Dems play by the rules and attempt to rise above the politics of the day, we never get any credit and we’re played for fools. Have we learned our lesson yet?

1 Like

Hopefully he will be gone by her inauguration.

I doubt it will come to that. If HRC is elected Director Comey’s position would be untenable. he could not stay on as FBI director under a POTUS he’s showed partisan bias against. Perhaps that’s why he threw his all to Trump. Maybe he felt he had nothing to lose. But he would not be able to stay on if she’s elected. He might take a last shot at Clinton in forcing her to can him. So be it. It’s also possible Obama might fix the mess prior to her inauguration. He’d do so as the man that appointed him.

I do hope that Clinton learned something from Obama’s disastrous “bipartisan” crap. Virtually every GOP’er Obama saw fit to appoint screwed him. It’s in their DNA to do so and Clinton should not repeat Obama’s destructive appointment policies.

1 Like

If she needs to do it she should do it without fear of what the right will do. They’re going to bitch whatever she does. She should see that as a license to do what she wants.

2 Likes

Comey works for Lynch. Lynch is the nation’s top law enforcement officer and Comey is the head of her investigative branch.

1 Like

Of course he can.

The FBI Director is insulated from such things, but not immune. It is a drastic step for the President to fire the FBI Director because it reeks of the politicization of law enforcement, but there is no statutory prohibition against it.

1 Like

If Comey had any decency he would have offered his resignation after the statements Obama made yesterday regarding the FBI. Comey needs to be forcefully pried loose from his post.

She essentially abdicated her authority to Comey because of the fallout over her tarmac meeting with Bill Clinton that cast an appearance of a conflict of interest. This is what empowered Comey to make his outrageous statement in July, lambasting Clinton over and above making a simple statement that there would be no charges. Having survived his first statement gave him courage to again overstep his bounds with his news of further investigation. The only thing to stop him will be the axe.

I think the history of the FBI proves otherwise.

It is possible that George Conway, his law firm and Rudy Giuliani are behind the alt-right cabal of FBI agents in New York field office. Also, Trump invested $10 million dollars of his money just before James Comey made his innuendo filled letter to Paul Ryan and his fellow Republicans. Follow the money to find the vipers.