Discussion: Clinton Camp Calls On Sanders To Agree To Unsanctioned Debate

Discussion for article #245161

Clinton always does well in debates. I don’t understand why the DNC or the Clinton camp would have ever thought otherwise.

On the other hand, Bernie only ever benefits from more exposure. This whole back and forth is so weird.

6 Likes

Rewatching Maddow’s show last night. Bernie said with his own lips that he’s down if the other candidates are.

3 Likes

Well, politically speaking, the Clinton camp is playing this well. It’s a win-win for them. And it seems like a lot of people are eating it up.

3 Likes

Riiight…and give DWS exactly what she wants? Hell no. DNC can get off its ass and sanction it or he should continue to tell them to fuck off. This is kabuki theater as much as the Trump crap is, and something about it stinks to me when we’ve got that imbecile DWS still threatening to ban people from the sanctioned debates if they attend this one. Is MSNBC in cahoots with her? WTF?

6 Likes

HRC should joke, “Heck, I’d even take a FOX debate question now that they have an opening and need a ratings booster!”

3 Likes

maybe they both want to keep the spotlight from dwelling on the GOP mishegoss so much this week.

I lean towards Bernie but I’m going to lose a little respect if he doesn’t do this debate… what’s DWS gonna do? not let him in future debates? that’ll go over real well with voters…

2 Likes

I’d be totally up for this debate if it was like the debate in the last season of The West Wing. But it won’t be so it will be just more candidates answering the questions they were not asked.

I don’t think anything nefarious is going on, but I think it is smart for Sanders to only participate in sanctioned debates until the DNC says otherwise. He can’t risk appearing in the later slots.

Especially if he got banned and Then the DNC changed the rules. Now That’s paranoia.

Why does this feel like a “come into my nest said the spider to the fly” moment?

Bernie already said on Rachel’s show that he is willing to debate next week if the others candidates will. That being said, Hillary’s pal Debbie and the DNC, will not sanction the debate and will possibly bar the Sanders campaign from additional debates after next week if they participate.

This is the type of mess which makes me dislike the Clintons.

Actually it’s just the opposite. It was Rachel Maddow who was not happy with the lack of Dem debates before the primary and with the New Hampshire Union organized the debates. How you got to that conclusion I do not understand.

1 Like

It’s a trap. The Union Leader is a far right paper. They’ve found unlikely allies in their effort to confront the DNC, and HRC knows “going rogue” has no risks for her. She owns the DNC and its chair. Sanders is right to resist the bait and stick to the rules. 1) He avoids being accused of trying to- benefit by an unsanctioned debate in a state he already leads. Hill needs the exposure, not Bern. 2) HRC is rushing ahead to take the U-L bait against the rules that were created to help her. Since the DNC will NOT punish her for it, Bernie wins this and future rounds. If they DO punish her…hmmm. Hillary going rogue makes this very significant in coming primaries.

2 Likes

Sanders probably doesn’t want anymore scrutiny of his unworkable proposals. The Medicare for All proposal, as Krugman notes, would disrupt the entire U.S. healthcare system for years and Sanders makes huge coverage promises that he doesn’t even begin to pay for.

Free College lavishes federal subsidies on high-tuition states while it short-changes low-tuition ones because it makes no adjustments for the enormous disparity in tuition rates across the country. The University of Vermont costs $16,000 per year in-state while the University of Iowa costs $8,000. So VT would be rollng in subsidies to the tune of $8,000 per student while IA would only get $4,000 per student.

And the tax increases! Bernie doesn’t talk much about the fact that his “free” college scheme leaves a significant chunk for the state’s to cover if they want to participate. Many would have to raise taxes to cover the tab.

1 Like

Sorry, but this sounds completely created in your imagination–you think the DNC is in Hillary’s pocket, so you project nefarious motives on the DNC, and then reflect them back on Hillary.

3 Likes

The DNC rules absolutely give DWS the right to bar Sanders from further debates if he participates next week. Short answer, yes she can and probably will.

2 Likes

That is beyond stupid of the DNC, The New Hampshire Union was pressured by the voters for another debate before the primary.

Having only 6 debates and scheduling them at times when virtually no one will see them helps Hillary. That’s a fact.

I don’t know who the DNC favors, but it’s clear who DWS favors.

This has nothing to do with Hillary. The voters of New Hampshire pressured the Union Ledger for more debates and Rachel Maddow wanted the same that is how MSNBC got involved

1 Like

Is it a fact? Then why is Hillary trying to get more debates? Bernie can’t have it both ways.

3 Likes