Discussion: Civil Rights Leader Refuses To March At Selma Alongside George W. Bush

Discussion for article #234094

It’s really too bad that this won’t be taken as the galactic bitch-slap it really is…not by Dubya and not by the MSM.

25 Likes

I can just hear it now - she’s disrespectful, blah blah blah

2 Likes

“George Bush stands for just the opposite – for violence and war and stolen elections.”

That’s a good summary of his values.

11 Likes

Do your sanity a favor and don’t read the youtube video comments. This must have made its way onto one of the WND or drudge sites and, like seagulls swarming over garbage, the racist scum show up to cast dispersion on this woman.

3 Likes

“an insult to me and people who really do believe in nonviolence,” she added.

Completely agree.

8 Likes

People actually read You Tube comments?

2 Likes

I am going to be a contrarian. I think she is wrong. My friend who stormed ashore on Omaha Beach refused to shake GWB’s hand because he was against GWBs Iraq war, but the ancient warrior’s beef with Bush was with an issue of war. Civil rights is for all Americans. That Bush showed up is a mark in his favor. We have to involve whites as well as blacks or we will suffer racial divisions forever.

2 Likes

She didn’t mention race at all and your friend likely had a laundry list of reasons not to shake George Bush’s hand. I know I wouldn’t and I wouldn’t walk with him either.

4 Likes

After the first few times, I found I would rather bathe in a cesspool. No difference, really. Yahoo is pretty much the same…

No it isn’t. It didn’t cost him anything to show up, he didn’t sacrifice anything to be there. Being there for this rally is easy when you have the resources Bush has, actually living the values represented by Selma and which were being honored by the rally? That is the actual challenge and as she rightly noted Bush’s life is pretty much the antithesis of the values the rally was meant to commemorate.

2 Likes

My favorite moment in Selma was during Obama’s speech. He had a little riff where he noted that Reagan signed an extention of the voting rights act, and GW Bush signed one as well. Then he talked about the act being under attack, and how the 100 lawmakers present should go back to Washington and lead 400 more to reinstate it. It was a huge applause line, and low and behold, the camera caught Bush standing and applauding. I’m not sure he wanted to, but he did.

6 Likes

Breathe of fresh air and a good beginning. Would that her distinction of avoiding GWB will grow and people won’t be co-opted into letting him and his ilk get a free pass. This movement needs people with clear convictions and steadfast beliefs.
GWB has not atoned and until he does he doesn’t belong in this noble cause.

Live and let live goes a long way, until it comes to the bush dynasty.

Bush’s legacy is pretty damning—if you consider him to be fully aware of his surroundings, which may be giving him too much credit.

3 Likes

Bush is a war criminal, wanted at The Hague and numerous other countries for war crimes and crimes against humanity. For him to march at Selma is hugely dishonoring the people who originally marched. She’s dead on.

2 Likes

In the president’s remarks the other day he said this about gwb, and while I’m no fan of his, in fact I detest him, the fact that he signed it sets him apart from the rest of the party whose Congressional leaders didn’t bother to attend…

The Voting Rights Act. . . was the result of Republican Democratic efforts. Reagan signed its renewal, President George W. Bush signed its renewal when he was in office."

Maybe this is the one thing he did right.

1 Like

What is Bush’s presidential legacy? Judges that support voter ID laws and other oppressive laws? That’s enough for him to be on the wrong side for me.

1 Like

I always wonder how everything played out in his head. I actually sort of loathe him a little more when I consider that it’s possible he really wasn’t smart enough to parse out the damage his administration is and was responsible for. The thought that he just may never get it bothers me.

1 Like

To some degree I understand where she’s coming from. But I’m reminded of the idea that in denying yourself the act of participating, you give over to someone else too much power over your life.

The commemoration was not about Bush, but about the efforts of all the others who were there, including herself. He could probably have cared less about her non-participation. But then she short-changed herself of the commemoratory of the event. Again, it was her choice.

1 Like