Discussion: Cherokee Secretary Of State: Warren, Trump DNA Fight 'Not Useful'

Bigger issues for Native Americans right now. Maddow did a long piece on how the Republican legislators in North Dakota have found a way to prevent thousands of Native Americans from voting November 6th to ensure Heidi Heitkamp’s defeat.

9 Likes

I suppose if Trump stops with the pocahontas bullshit sen Warren will have done Native Americans (and decent people everywhere) a solid.

I mean… I get his point and in a sense he’s, of course, correct…

but he is on TV today advocating for his cause and people are paying attention because of the Senator basically called out the president for the use of a Native American name as a slur with DNA results that really should put an end to Trump calling her Pocahontas. Further use means his BS denials its racist are no longer tenable (as if they were ever plausible)

I have to think that fact, from his side, is useful.

And besides the only claim that Warren made about this results is that it shows her mom didn’t lie to her and she has not claimed to be a tribe member.

11 Likes

Agree… Senator Warren now needs to actually do something showing her concern for the indigenous peoples of our land. For example improve voting rights. I saw a clip that indicated some tribes have to travel 75 miles to vote. How about unemployment in the 80 to 90% range. Trash talking is so depressing - real programs with actual results is much more important to the future well being of all.

5 Likes

Personally, I don’t think Warren went down the right road. If her intention was to show that he’s racist, misogynistic sc*mbag, then we already knew that. Her heritage was never truly in question because that’s not the point of the racism. NOW, - we get the Cherokee SoS adding to the situation and Rump is totally twisting his words. (You didn’t see this coming, Mr. Hoskin?) People need to go back to their corners and fight for something else.

7 Likes

I have mixed feelings about Senator Warren releasing the results of an ancestry genetic test. These commercial kits are not reliable, especially for a low sample population. It’s imprtant that she tells her story, but all that is washed out by trump being a jerk, and no one can out jerk trump.

Hope she can turn the narrative to trump policies screwing poor people.

2 Likes

If she felt she needed to pick this fight, I wish she would have done it some other time, not weeks before a critical election.

3 Likes

I don’t see how any of this helps her. By 2020 I suspect we will bore of this and both trump and her will look bad.

2 Likes

The political ad about it is good. It’s about family heritage, grit and personal integrity, while showing up the GOP bigots for what they are. It was a good move, and the more Doofus tweets about it, the more people will see it.

3 Likes

I am not sure she used a commercial kit. The person who did the testing was an expert from Stanford.

7 Likes

Everyone knows Trump never pays his debts. Mord would have just scoffed and hit him again.

1 Like

The only people this dumb discussion help are Trump and Warren (not the Democrats as a whole). And neither one broadens their base with silliness like this.Trump is a racist dick, its not breaking news.

2 Likes

On balance I think this dust up is “useful” for America generally and Native Americans in particular. It demonstrates that over the last 250 years or so there has been a lot more mixing of genes than racists like Trump want to admit. It is becoming harder and harder to call somebody a ( ) American. In the long run recognition that we are all Americans is good for the nation.

2 Likes

This has turned into a messy situation. The Democrats will have difficulty controlling the 2020 conversation if Dumpsterfire can force Warren into DNA testing. I’m not sure that releasing the results of that test was the right direction to take (although I don’t know of a better one). Dems need to be able to turn the conversation elsewhere when Dumpsterfire starts to carry some stray detail.
The Cherokee Nation are defending themselves - as they should. But there are no doubt millions of people who are non-native but have some native heritage. If they are not attempting to influence what it means to have a tribal identity and status, then acknowledge that and move on.

1 Like

In my view, her actions in following through and then going after Trump on the DNA is a negative for Warren, and can only help Trump. His base buys the bluster and inappropriate characterization of Warren. They’ll never be dissuaded by facts, nor by proof that Trump made the wager, which obviously was in jest (they’ll believe). So, that leaves Warren playing gotcha in a fool’s game. She didn’t do the DNA test to help the true Native Americans, not that I’ve seen. She did it to prove Trump doesn’t keep his word, showing she’s so much better than he is. That won’t work, and is in the same vein as Hilary’s basket of deplorables. This stuff is antithetical to the sort of charisma that we need in anyone who would be president. She’s on a high horse (I don’t think this, necessarily, but it’s how she appears to many people, and it’s a turnoff).

4 Likes

My understanding of Cherokee culture was that the woman owned whatever property they had and she could recruit and dismiss husbands as she wanted. If she recruited a European husband their children would be accepted by the tribe. If a Cherokee man had a child by a European woman that child would not be accepted by the tribe. Reading Bartram’s “Travels through North and South Carolina, Georgia, East and West Florida, the Cherokee Country…” during the years of 1773 and 1777 one reads of quite a lot of interaction between whites and the Native Americans. So it seems likely that a lot of folks could have Native American DNA but never have been a tribe member. My family came to this country in about 1732 and finally wound up in NE Georgia at a place which the Cherokees called the Center of the World.
Most Asians and Native Americans are homozygous recessive for a gene (ABCC11) resulting in flaky earwax, almost no body hair and they do not have smelly armpits. That’s me, and there has never been any mention in my family of Native American ancestry. But if my reading of my phenotype is correct then both my parents would have been heterozygous for that gene; I recall both of them mentioning excessive ear wax so they were not homozygous recessive. My point is that its a possibility that lots of folks in that area would have some Native American DNA but never have been a tribe member.

4 Likes

I’m glad Sen Warren addressed this issue to put to to rest. Sure there will be people that don’t believe it but then there are some people that will never be convinced no matter what (i.e. birthers). And truthfully, I’m not very keen on Sen. Warren (I just don’t like her as much as a lot of progressives do) but do like that she released it. I found her silence on the matter a little disturbing, which fed into the Pocahontas bullshit.

I wish this Cherokee SOS had been more vocal about how unhelpful this is when Warren was being called names. Instead the usual Johnny com latelys crawl out to chastise after the fact.

6 Likes

Kemp, North Dakota and Waller County are making the Republican quest to suppress voters big and boxy, easy to see. It is too easy.

1 Like

See the interview. She did not use a commercial or off-the-shelf DNA test kit. Instead, a DNA researcher to further prove her heritage.

4 Likes

How many family stories are ‘true’ TRUE? She had said she had heard she had an Indian background. Trump has decided to focus on it.

She felt she had to ‘clear’ her name because HE was calling her a liar.

What gets me is the spokesman is NOT denouncing the use of the racial epithet…unless he did and I missed that bit of commentary.

5 Likes