Discussion: Charlottesville To Cover Confederate Status In Black Fabric

Why not just take them down instead of putting fabric over them? Do like other municipalities. Haven’t these Confederate statues caused enough pain, disgust and tragedy?

1 Like

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

The State legislature passed a law prohibiting taking down a Confederate monument. http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-confederate-monument-laws-20170815-htmlstory.html

1 Like

Fine if they soak the cloth in epoxy resin first.

2 Likes

What, they didn’t think manure would stick?

I’ve got an idea. The Stone Mountain bas relief of Confederate generals will never be removed or replaced, so why not gather all of the statues in question and move them to Stone Mountain? That way all of the modern Confederates can go to Stone Mountain and bask in the glory of their losing team. It would be like the Ark Encounter. Think of all the Nazi money that would be collected if they charged those skinhead rebels an entry fee.

1 Like

They voted to take down the Lee statue a while back – that’s (ostensibly, at least) the reason the alt-Nazis and alt-Confederates chose this city and this park in the first place.

The problem is, they were sued and there is (if I’m recalling correctly) an injunction preventing them from taking the statue down until the lawsuit is decided in the courts.

According to the NYT coverage, last night they voted to take the first step toward taking down a statue of Stonewall Jackson too. But no doubt this will be challenged as well.

[And if challenged on the same grounds, perhaps the two cases will be merged and decided together…if the grounds are the same, but the cases aren’t merged, it seems likely that the outcome of the Lee statue case will determine the outcome of the Jackson statue case.]

1 Like

That last sentence is the one reason I would oppose this otherwise fine idea.

1 Like

Let’s deregulate confederate monuments so companies can mine them for precious metals! That’s a win-win! They’re already blowing up mountaintops. This is much easier. Off with their heads!

Since the statues’ defenders love to yammer on about “history” it’s interesting to note that historically that’s exactly what has happened to the vast majority of metal statues from antiquity on. Typically melted down for weapons and sometimes to use the metal for statues of current or recent leaders and/or historical figures held in higher regard at the time.

Not sure these bronze statues have much current military value, so I propose they are melted down and the metal used for statues of Frederick Douglass (even our alt-President believes Douglass “has done an amazing job”), as well as Harriet Tubman, MLK Jr., Malcolm X, Thurgood Marshall, Barack Obama, and so on. You want history? I got your history right here!

2 Likes

I forgot that for some reason. The reason these bigots all gathered somehow in my mind was lost on the absolute terror they tried to provoke and the subsequent melee. Thanks for reminding me what started this whole thing.

1 Like