Discussion: Charlie Hebdo Staffer: 'No Comparison' Between Us, Texas Contest

Discussion for article #235993

Charlie Hebdo, as much as they are reviled by quite a number of people, are ultimately a news outlet that goes after a number of different people and figures who they feel ought to be knocked down a peg. This event was focused on one thing: pissing off Muslims and desperately trying to spark a reaction of some kind, which they [unfortunately] got.

No, they are definitely NOT the same thing.

7 Likes

AND…frankly I believe Geller hoped to see violence to prove her point, which means that she intentionally put attendees and hired security and police in harms way. The staff at Charlie Hebdo know that they take stands that could put themselves in danger.

9 Likes

"Thoret said the contest in Texas was part of a ‘very harsh movement against Islamization of the U.S.’ He said that at Charlie Hebdo, the writers and cartoonists were ‘criticizing’ religion, ‘not Muslim people in particular.’ "

That’s all well and good, but your calculus glaringly overestimates the capacity of bigots and extremists alike for nuance.

1 Like

Uh-oh. Time for the loons to start hating France again.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call them a news outlet as they don’t do any reporting of stories. Rather I would call them political/religious commentary. The huge difference between them and Geller’s hate group is that they (Charlie Hebdo) are “equal opportunity offenders” in that they’re pointing out the ridiculousness/hypocrisy of people; they’re not targeting one specific group of people for denigration.

2 Likes

I do wonder a little whether the guy misspoke, or just didn’t have time. Because there is no “Islamization of the U.S.”. Unless by that you mean the idea that people who follow Islam should have the same rights as people who follow other religions.

1 Like

Guys like the Charlie Hebdo staff and Pam Geller give rise to the Holocaust cartoon contests in Tehran. Exercising and responsible use of free speech are not the same things. You can explicitly get across your point that the way Islam is exercised by its most visible adherents is intolerant and dangerous with going out of your way to predictably insult most of its believers. Who are you trying to convince anyway— the people who think kike you or those who don’t?

2 Likes

Pam Geller and her followers have a ’ cancer ’ called hatred : this is easier to get rid of than the physical cancer . ( But of course they don’t want to get rid of it , they thrive on it ) .

Geller knew exactly what she was doing and got exactly what she wanted. She’s salivating. The only ones as happy about this are ISIS fanboys.

3 Likes

I think the two have more in common than they have differences. ‘Lets mock a minority religion because we can.’

3 Likes

And would he say that, just because Charlie Hebdo portrayed a black French government official as a monkey, doesn’t mean that they have anything in common with the KKK?

1 Like

:smile:
Freudian slip?

or

1. finger slip between adjacent keys;
    or
  2. spell-checker is antisemitic (possibly self-loathing);
    or
  3. “free-speechy” pun;
    or
  4. all four together.

Mr. Thoret overlooks the biggest difference of all – Rosa Parks wasn’t French!

Ms Geller, I served with Charlie Hebdo. I knew Charlie Hebdo. Charlie Hebdo was a friend of mine. Ms Geller, you’re no Charlie Hebdo.

1 Like

He said that at Charlie Hebdo, the writers and cartoonists were “criticizing” religion, “not Muslim people in particular.”

Really?

So your publications cartoons depicting Mohammed, which was the reason the murdering scum who shot up your fellow co-workers, was also somehow also criticizing Quakers, and Hindus and Taoists and all other religions and their adherents?

While I find Geller and grew vile bigots, this guys “argument” doesn’t even pass the laugh test.

While they are not the same thing in that one is a publication, the other is a hate-group, to claim that their depicting of Mohammed which instigated the mass-murder committed against their employees, is somehow “different” is laughably stupid.

1 Like

Let’s hope that was a typo.

Actually there’s so little light between them that you couldn’t tell them apart without name tags. They should unite and change the rag’s name to Charlie Geller since they’re both on the same racist path.