Discussion: Charlie Hebdo Releases First Cover Since Attack: 'All Is Forgiven'

Discussion for article #231962

Class act!

7 Likes

Agreed but the extremists won’t see it that way.

5 Likes

Makes me teary. True class.

4 Likes

Sad prophet is sad.

3 Likes

Satire always and forever… To paraphrase Jon Stewart, satire shouldn’t be an act of bravery, but kudos to the staff for they have … bravery

8 Likes

Curious how one would know that is supposed to be Muhammed?

1 Like

This is perfect. It demonstrates that they are not angry at Muslims, but extremist. It does it in a way that is somewhat offensive to Muslims. It is a beautiful balance of insight via blasphemy. I want a t-shirt.

5 Likes

They are claiming it. It matches earlier comics.

1 Like

Well done.

Now, let’s ratchet it down a notch.

3 Likes

That took balls. Awesome.

2 Likes

“Who is forgiven for what?” is the question,

Based on this

I think it would be completely obvious to the French readers.

One problem with judging satire is that it is so culturally specific. Puns don’t translate at all. Current event references are lost.

This cover is awesome for two reasons. First is the “All is forgiven” message. Second is the fact that the sheikh’s turban and face are clearly representative of a penis and testicles. Thus, a dickhead Muslim sheikh is reading about how “all is forgiven.” Brilliant.

1 Like

What’s actually awesome about this is that it acknowledges that the killing of the journalists is not the fault of all Muslims.

I assume that there are other reasons that you see male genitalia.

2 Likes

Look at the turban and the sheikh’s head (with the FULL image, not the limited one shown at the top of this page). Either that’s male genitalia or it’s the cartoon equivalent of a Freudian slip.

1 Like

Thank you TPM for standing in solidarity and printing the uncensored Charlie Hebdo cover.

That’s right, I said it.

2 Likes

http://paper-bird.net/2015/01/09/why-i-am-not-charlie/

1 Like

Thanks for posting that.
I’m tired of feeling alone except for Digby at Hullabaloo.

1 Like

My goodness! That is exactly what I thought when I stumbled upon it --I’m not alone! And you’re welcome. Now I’m rushing off to see what Digby has to say.