Discussion: Centuries-Old English Law May Hold The Answer To Ted Cruz's Birth Issue

Discussion for article #244633

1 Like

Leaves little room for Cuban Cannucks. Si? Eh?

29 Likes

The way this is late out I don’t know maybe just maybe she has a point. That being said I can’t imagine this Supreme Court saying he’s ineligible.

4 Likes

People are assuming that the Conservative Justices on the Supreme Court would rule in Cruz’s favor, because he is a Republican. But those Justices are much more Jeb Bush Conservatives than they are Ted Cruz Conservatives. In other words, they are from the same old guard that wants to see Trump and Cruz go away. So, for the same intellectually dishonest reasons the Court might rule in Cruz’s favor, they might also rule against him.

12 Likes

Perhaps it would be best to forego the birther route and just state–clearly and unequivocally-- that we don’t want Cruz for President because he does not represent what it means to be an American.

55 Likes

Please, all gods great and small, let him be declared ineligible.

I really don’t give a shit politically, but to watch his reaction would be well worth the price of admission.

30 Likes

The Constitution’s ban on foreign-born people as president is unconstitutional! Look it up!!

11 Likes

No, but it sure as hell is politically incorrect!

1 Like

Yeah, that is the prize here: to bench the insufferable asshole with the hot hand and the huge ego. The resulting supernova is truly a wonder of the cosmos.

10 Likes

Ginsburg has a grandchild who was born in Paris to 2 US citizens and indicated during arguments on a citizenship case back in 2009 that she hoped he was eligible to be President, so she might vote for Cruz. Nevertheless, it’s not fully settled law, despite Cruz’s protestations.

In the real world it’s not trivial to get the case into court at all. Who has standing and when is the case ripe? Could the Dem challenge before the election or only if they lost? If they challenge after the election, but before the Electoral College meets, is the case ripe then, since, officially, the EC vote is the one that really counts? If they challenge after the EC is that reviewable by courts, since the 12th Amendment entrusts review of electoral votes to Congress? And, very importantly, if a Dem won their challenge, would they be awarded the election or would the presidency pass to Cruz’s VP?

9 Likes

Are you implying that the Supreme Court Justices would make a decision based on personal desires and opinions rather than an objective reading of the Constitution? HORRORS! What a slippery slope that has been – er – would be!

12 Likes

Simple. Unequivocal. If you’re not born on American soil, you can be a citizen, but you can’t be President.

I like it.

13 Likes

Or would it go to the Republican House of Representatives? That would also get us a great outcome.

1 Like

Born in CONTINENTAL United States only!! (Write for shipping to AK and HI) NO, WAIT–ORIGINAL 13 Colonies ONLY–and Illinois cuz Reagan.

11 Likes

The interesting/ironically here is that a conservative interpretation of the constitution ‘originalism’, which Scalia and Cruz is supporting, clearly would point at Cruz not being eligible.

22 Likes

If the supremes take up this case–if someone with “standing” can be found to bring it–it won’t happen until next session (2017).
Ted’s on his own and at the mercy of Trump raising doubts this time around.

3 Likes

Why should American constitutional law in the 21st century depend on what English law from the 1300s? I don’t want Cruz to be prez, but it seems to me that if you acquired American citizenship at birth, you are a “natural born American.” I will note that Cruz, being born in Canada, the child of a Cuban and a Canadian-American citizen, acquired Canadian citizenship at birth, too.

So, let’s ship him off to Ottawa where he can duke it out with Trudeau.

7 Likes

The irony/hypocrisy is just so much fun to watch. The whole birther effort with Obama was aimed entirely at proving he was born in Kenya, or Indonesia, because even though his mother was American he would be ineligible for the Presidency. They turned themselves into pretzels trying to prove Obama wasn’t born in Hawaii, even arguing that his Hawaii birth announcement was sent to Hawaii from Kenya in order to preserve his eligibility.

With Cruz, we now have a candidate who clearly, indisputably, admittedly, was born in Canada.

And . . .?

19 Likes

I don’t think the Supreme Court waited for its normal calendar to hear Bush v. Gore.

4 Likes

It’s all very black and white.

20 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available