Discussion: Census Quietly Seeks Citizenship Data From DHS As SCOTUS Weighs Question

1 Like

Welcome to yet another lawsuit about to be filed. This “Administration” really seems to think it is above the law and the Constitution. Last I checked, the purpose of the Census is to count “persons,” not determine their citizenship.

13 Likes

Census scholars say that could not happen without new legislation, which is not likely under the Democratic majority in the House of Representatives.

Have these scholars been napping the last two years? Maybe “should not” happen without new legislation - but “could not”?

2 Likes

This information could provide very accurate data on non-citizens–thereby increasing the accuracy of counts in areas that have a lot of immigrants. So places like NYC and LA would have greater representation in Congress.

Why is it that I think that’s not what the current maladministration wants?

13 Likes

I bet the plan is to use this information to separate out citizens and non-citizens, which would allow nefarious people to make decisions based solely on how many citizens resided somewhere. You don’t need the entire USCIS database to do that though, you could give out the same information just with zip codes. I suspect the information will be passed onto people who want to use it for, say, “eliminating non-citizen voting”,where they can go out and “make sure” only the “right” people are voting in elections.

You can see where this is headed…it will give anyone that wants to persecute immigrants (not just undocumented but all of them) an avenue to pursue their hate. It will also give a hook for all kinds of agencies and groups to shape policies around “citizens only” instead of anyone who lives here; legal immigrants will be harmed too. That’s the hate driving this, and it doesn’t end well if it’s allowed to happen.

9 Likes

Something wicked this way comes. That’s all I’ve got.

6 Likes

The GOP wants to use the Census to track down illegal immigrants and their families.

1 Like

Countdown to entirely accidental, utterly unforeseeable data release in 3,2,1… I wonder if someone is going to tell the IRC exactly what IP range to attack to get the info.

1 Like

Why are they asking DHS? They should ask Trump, he’s the only one with the “real” numbers, right?

1 Like

Well , Doughnut Donny ONLY wants White People in America .

1 Like

Agreed… but the last time I checked Merrick Garland was not in his rightful place either. Sadly, the stacked court could conceivably rule in tRump’s favor on this

1 Like

Circle 1 includes all those against the gunbuyers background check database. Circle 2 includes all those for DHS sending citizenship data to the Census Bureau. I suspect the Venn Diagram looks very similar to one circle. I think there is nefarious intent, but I don’t see any reason why this incidence of data sharing among gov’t entities would be ruled illegal.

2 Likes

I get very uncomfortable when lists start being made to separate out distinct groups. At the Holocaust Museum in Paris, when I visited there 10 years ago, as you entered the exhibits the first thing you saw was a battered file cabinet with index cards falling out. The cards listed all sorts of personal information, including family members, religion, address and the like. They then were used to identify Jews and other ‘less desirables’, although I don’t recall the original reason for that collection. When the Nazis arrived, it made it very easy to target where Jews lived and worked and to pick them up efficiently. Stone tablets in the Museum courtyard show the names of those deported from Paris in each wave of displacement. Whole families at a time - all made easier by those ID cards.
The lengths to which the Trump administration is going after this info suggests nefarious intent. They plan to use this against immigrants, not to offer them needed services or even a helping hand. The Statue of Liberty should be flexing her muscles and lengthening her reach to smash these SOBs (no insult to dogs intended.).

2 Likes