Discussion: Cantor's Loss Puts Establishment GOP Meme To Rest

Discussion for article #223788

hilarious datapoint from the nyt:

Since the beginning of last year, Mr. Cantor’s campaign had spent about $168,637 at steakhouses compared with the $200,000 his challenger, David Brat, had spent on his entire campaign.

7 Likes

Since the beginning of last year, Mr. Cantor’s campaign had spent about $168,637 at steakhouses compared with the $200,000 his challenger, David Brat, had spent on his entire campaign.

mmmm…red meat…

7 Likes

The big question in my mind is will Cantor, in his time left in office, allow a vote on immigration in hopes of giving some relief to the Republican party in 2016?

1 Like

Speaking of dead or dying memes, any chance we can get a little help with the “liberal professor” meme? I mean, sure, academic employees as a whole are probably in the Democratic bloc, just like rural Virginians run the other way. But clearly there are still plenty of conservatives at universities and willing to use them as a launch pad for other things.

By the way, according to Rate My Professors.Com, Brat was a good instructor and rated ‘hot’, though one student from this semester commented that he seemed off topic a lot of the time.

mmmm…red meat…

I guess he and his strategists misunderstood what being “a chief purveyor of red meat to “the base”” meant!

4 Likes

I’m just glad the MF is gone!

I have never understood why no one in the media ever made Eric Cantor explain his role in the 2009 Secret Meeting where he and other GOP leaders plotted to sabotage the US Economy.

Link: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/25/1258263/-Eric-Cantor-GOP-Leaders-Plot-to-Sabotage-US-Economy-in-Secret-Meeting

5 Likes

The other lesson to draw from this which we all know but few are discussing. TURNOUT MATTERS! The most reliable voters are the most extreme ones.

7 Likes

Cantor is a scumbag no doubt, but Brat will be even more extreme in that regard.

3 Likes

There’s as much chance of that as Sheldon Adelson announcing he’s supporting Hillary in 2016.

2 Likes

Erick Cantor lost because he was terribly incompetent at his jobs as House Majority Leader. He shut down the government and passed the same anti-Obama care legislation 43 times. He was sleazy, corrupt and never trusted by John Boehner and the establishment or by the Republicans in his district, who knew him best.

3 Likes

Erick Cantor rightfully won the primary because he had more money.

1 Like

From here forward Republicans are going to find “some decidedly non-intellectual buttons to push among right-wing activists”?

Oh, god help us.

2 Likes

Brat’s victory not only destroys the “GOP Establishment is back in control” meme, but it also does something else even more fundamental: it emphasizes the extent to which the GOP is a theocratic party. A conservative yet secular Jewish Republican was replaced by an overt Christianist with a divinity degree who has also spent time in the conservative Calvinist precincts of west Michigan.

If you ain’t an overt Christianist who waves the Bible around at every opportunity, you have no future in the Republican Party.

7 Likes

I think Eric is so arrogant he will go with a write in campaign, splitting the ticket and insuring a Dem win.

I’m sure many theories will be floated, but at the end of the day, IT’S
VIRGINIA. What part of Virginia do people not understand?

That’s because the establishment GOP and the Tea Party are the same thing now.

4 Likes

Virginia went to Obama in both 2008 and 2012. It ain’t Mississippi.

2 Likes

I am so hoping to find out that Dems here in the 7th, voting in an open primary, are who really put Brat over the top…

2 Likes

Exactly - it does not mean the TP is more alive - it means the GOP is more dead.

2 Likes