Discussion: California Supreme Court Chief Justice Left GOP After Kavanaugh Hearings

She’s running

5 Likes

There are still good people in the Republican party, ones who believe in America and are aghast at what the party has become and what it is doing. Many of them have been feeling that way for a while now, ever since the Tea Party showed up…they stay out of loyalty, but Trump seems to be breaking that. The party needs these people to leave, it’s obvious the Republican party as constituted can’t survive and needs to be put down…it’s grown far too anti-American and too dependent on racism to survive. If enough of the centrist conservatives leave, the party will fall…we won’t get a progressive wonderland out of it, but we will see the crazies move to the background (like the liberal crazies mostly are). We need that, without that happening a small group of horrible people will continue to drive the conversations in the US.

23 Likes

It’s interesting to see the trend in Asian Americans voting patterns the past few cycles. Obama received over 75% of the Asian vote in 2008 and 2012, exceeding his number with Hispanics. In the Georgia gubernatorial election Stacy Abrams got over 80% of the Asian vote. As a comparison Asians would trend 50-50 or 60-40 Republican.

8 Likes

. . . away from the republican party under whose officials she has worked all her life.

13 Likes

Most folks who know California politics seem to think the CA GOP is a dead party walking, that hasn’t acknowledged it died. Maybe this is the start of the wake?

10 Likes

It wasn’t Kavanaugh’s behavior, or his lack of qualifications, or his literally injudicious behavior, it was “incivility” and “polarization”. Yeah Judge, both sides at fault.

7 Likes

Well said. As another article quoted Cantil-Sakauye, “she told CALmatters that she talked about the issue with her husband and friends, and the consensus was that “you didn’t leave the party. The party left you.””

10 Likes

Good on Justice Cantil-Sakauye. We’re glad to have another voice of reason who finally saw the light, and it’s refreshing to see when someone has the courage to make a public change like this.

But it’s always amazing to me that anybody could have sat and watched through the last 25 or so years of American politics and not have concluded a very long time ago that the Republican party was pure-strain shit in every and all avenues that comprise a political party. The Kavanaugh hearing finally changed her mind. Not the rampant racism? Not the homophobia? Not all of the un-American voter suppression measures? The war profiteering never bothered her? She was cool with torture? The GOP has zero redeeming qualities unless you’re willing to wreck the world and a lot of lives for more money, and that’s been on full display for over half my life. You just now figured this out, in 2018?

20 Likes

It’s happening. A woman Senator in Kansas switched parties last week for the same reason. She lives in Sharice Davids’ district.

I do find it notable that it seems to be women who are leading the exodus from the GOP instead of men. Once men start to leave, i wonder if that will make the GOP take notice.

21 Likes

They’d probably rather find a way to end women’s suffrage.

12 Likes

And a lot of GOP candidates conceal their party membership during the campaign.

I wrote postcards for the TJ Cox GOTV, and the script emphasized his name and that he was the Democratic candidate.

I found out after the election that many of the (mostly Democratic) Hispanics in his district were under the impression that the GOP incumbent, Valadao, was himself a Democrat! So an important part of the campaign was to educate the public in this majority Democratic registered district about this!

14 Likes

As with many, it doesn’t happen until it starts to affect them.
trump’s open and flagrant racism, the fact that his administration has gone after ALL immigrants who aren’t white are two examples of something that affects HER personally.

12 Likes

“. . . conservative on some issues, but open-minded on social justice issues” hasn’t described the Republican party at least since Reagan. What took her this long?

4 Likes

The only Asian bloc that consistently votes R are the Vietnamese refugees. Now Trump wants to destroy the allegiance. Some Filipinos vote R because of their Catholicism. Other than that Asians have been very solidly D in the last two decades.

4 Likes

Shhhh! Don’t let this guy hear you.

4 Likes

I suspect you have put your finger on it!

3 Likes

Historically Vietnamese and Cambodians have trended more conservative and South Asians, Indio-Pak to the left.

1 Like

She described herself as conservative on some issues, but open-minded on social justice issues

So, she’s maybe not against gays marrying, but she still wants to bring about a libertarian hellscape in which all people are crushed equally under the capricious boot of a dozen rich old men.

Presidential Medal of Freedom?

6 Likes

i GUEss shE DoEsn'T LiKe bEEr.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available